Wifi connection issues

millerjy

Reaction score
When I am connected to wifi I notice I loose data after about 10 minutes of inactivity. The phone still says its connected but the router says that is not. I also noticed it doing it with my Xoom also. I looked through all the settings thinking it is just a setting to see power but all the power savings options are turned off. I also thought it was my router but other devices dont do this and it does it on other routers.

Any thoughts?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
When I am connected to wifi I notice I loose data after about 10 minutes of inactivity. The phone still says its connected but the router says that is not. I also noticed it doing it with my Xoom also. I looked through all the settings thinking it is just a setting to see power but all the power savings options are turned off. I also thought it was my router but other devices dont do this and it does it on other routers.
The DROID2 Global has several issues with its WiFi transceiver. Is your router 802.11n capable? If so, try disabling it, and leave just 802.11g (and/or its predecessors) enabled.

I have a D-Link DIR-655, and what you described is extremely common with D-Link products (according to multiple reports I know of); I can connect to WiFi, and everything works, until the very moment when an app requests a lot of data (f.ex. a youtube video). The connection stalls, and nothing works unless I disable and then re-enable WiFi. Switching my router to 802.11g+802.11a mode solved the issue.

OP
M

millerjy

Reaction score
I am running stock 2.3 on it.

Makes sense about the router. I will give it a try.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
The DROID2 Global has several issues with its WiFi transceiver. Is your router 802.11n capable? If so, try disabling it, and leave just 802.11g (and/or its predecessors) enabled.

I have a D-Link DIR-655, and what you described is extremely common with D-Link products (according to multiple reports I know of); I can connect to WiFi, and everything works, until the very moment when an app requests a lot of data (f.ex. a youtube video). The connection stalls, and nothing works unless I disable and then re-enable WiFi. Switching my router to 802.11g+802.11a mode solved the issue.

Now THIS really sucks because prior to buying my D2G I upgraded my router to an 802.11n model for the faster speeds I'd get when my laptop, netbook, Blue-Ray player (for Netflix), and VOD with DirecTV were hooked up. And NOW I've got do downgrade my entire home just so my phone will work right??

I'd think the better solution would be for Motorola to FIX the damn phone......:D

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
In Motorola's defence, it's not their fault as far as my analysis shows. It's either the router's wireless NIC (it might be one of the older chips that utilises 802.11n draft specifications), or the phone's wireless transceiver itself. Motorola actually fixed a very annoying WiFi bug with the release of 4.5.x where the connexion would stall no matter what mode the router was in, and no matter which model you used.