WiFi Calling using Google Voice?

CmdBash

Reaction score
I have been searching high and low and I cant seem to find an up to date post that doesn't involve using Gizmo5 to accomplish what im about to request :(

My house has terrible signal, I cant afford a Verizon extender at the moment, so I have been looking into using my WiFi for making and receving calls from my Google Voice number.

I was reading up that this was accomplished using Fring and Gizmo5 some time ago, but Gizmo5 is now closed as a Google Project.

Any ideas? I had Skype and that doesn't allow WiFi calling...

ytwokc5

Reaction score
I have been searching high and low and I cant seem to find an up to date post that doesn't involve using Gizmo5 to accomplish what im about to request :(

My house has terrible signal, I cant afford a Verizon extender at the moment, so I have been looking into using my WiFi for making and receving calls from my Google Voice number.

I was reading up that this was accomplished using Fring and Gizmo5 some time ago, but Gizmo5 is now closed as a Google Project.

Any ideas? I had Skype and that doesn't allow WiFi calling...

No idea if this still works, but it looks like a strong possibility Home - Loganss' Nexus One blog

Card

Reaction score
I'm also interested in this, as I'd like to eventually try and repair my D1 and use it as a house phone with my GV Account.

bishoy

Reaction score
there's an app on the market called GrooVe IP for $3.99

it works great and the call quality is awesome unless ur 3g signal is super weak but if you're on WiFi, call quality is amazing. i use this everyday and i have not had problems with it yet.

(Right now it is on sale on the Amazon app market for $1.99)

sebeticus

Reaction score
Did this with Verizon 4G MiFi & Talkatone

I used talkatone on an iPhone with no service contract and a Verizon 4G MiFi. Talkatone is coming soon to the Droid and there are other applications like it you can use as well. I wrote about my setup on my blog.

Mike's Blog | Useful Stuff for Fellow Nerds