Wifi and 3g network

Sgt Jiggy

Reaction score
Can someone, anyone answer these questions? Why can't the Droid x access the market via wifi? Why will some apps work with wifi and the network and others won't? Is it a setting? Is there a hack for this? Is this a software issue? My understanding is the HTC Incredible doesn't have these issues. I can connect to my wifi without any issues and my DX is very fast. I'm frustrated! :icon_eek:

kevinkar

Reaction score
Something is incorrect here because my X can access the market just fine over WiFi (when I did a hard reset after receiving the 2.2 OTA update, I just sat there at home and reloaded all the apps again very quickly using WiFi).

Also, all the apps I have that connect to the world all work through either 3G or WiFi, whichever is on. I believe WiFi for data takes precedence over 3G when you are connected to a network. So at home I turn WiFi on since I have my router on but at work it's 3G since I can't connect to my company's wireless network.

That does not mean some apps aren't written to use WiFi. There may be some. However, all the apps I have appear to function on both 3G and WiFi and are clearly working on WiFi at home just fine. They just do by default and I did not change anything specifically to change this behavior.

So, you may have a setting wrong or you may not actually be connecting to WiFi (are you experiencing the "connecting...disconnecting" WiFi issue? If so, you may not actually be connected so the apps are defaulting to 3G). If the wireless icon is showing, you should be using WiFi.

OP
Sgt Jiggy

Sgt Jiggy

Reaction score
Something is incorrect here because my X can access the market just fine over WiFi (when I did a hard reset after receiving the 2.2 OTA update, I just sat there at home and reloaded all the apps again very quickly using WiFi).

Also, all the apps I have that connect to the world all work through either 3G or WiFi, whichever is on. I believe WiFi for data takes precedence over 3G when you are connected to a network. So at home I turn WiFi on since I have my router on but at work it's 3G since I can't connect to my company's wireless network.

That does not mean some apps aren't written to use WiFi. There may be some. However, all the apps I have appear to function on both 3G and WiFi and are clearly working on WiFi at home just fine. They just do by default and I did not change anything specifically to change this behavior.

So, you may have a setting wrong or you may not actually be connecting to WiFi (are you experiencing the "connecting...disconnecting" WiFi issue? If so, you may not actually be connected so the apps are defaulting to 3G). If the wireless icon is showing, you should be using WiFi.

Yes I get the wifi icon and the 3G disappears (it still shows the signal bars usually all four). I says it's connected and it is very fast compared to the network. And I "cannot" access the market over wifi. I too did the hard reset after the 2.2 ota update, still have the same issue. I cannot use the google talk app over wifi, it must be done using the network. Also I have two remote desktop apps that will only work over the network not wifi. I get an error that says the port is unplugged. I am frustrated.

kevinkar

Reaction score
And I "cannot" access the market over wifi. I too did the hard reset after the 2.2 ota update, still have the same issue. I cannot use the google talk app over wifi, it must be done using the network. Also I have two remote desktop apps that will only work over the network not wifi. I get an error that says the port is unplugged. I am frustrated.
That is totally screwed up. I wonder if you have a local Verizon store you can go to and see if the guys there can take a quick look at it. I am no expert but I can't think of a reason the Market app should work only on the 3G network. Mine clearly accesses WiFi fine. Short of another hard reset, or another few reboots, I am not sure what else you can do other than RMA it or some other warranty-based option.

Kevin

OP
Sgt Jiggy

Sgt Jiggy

Reaction score
Update!!!

dancedroid OK, I finally have my Droid X working as advertised. It's only been a month and a half! I'm like a kid in the candy store. Anyway, I got online and chatted with a motorola rep. He was great, I explained all the steps I took to fix the problems I was having/had from 2.1 through the 2.2 update (battery out, battery in, factory update, removing, reinstalling apps). I was about ready to flush the thing and go get an Incredible.

For his amusement he had me remove and reinstall the battery one more time. Amazing - It works. And it is faaaast! I hope I don't have to keep removing the battery to cure problems. I can now access and download apps from the market using wifi, I can use all of my internet programs with wifi (before I couldn't). I'm kind of at a loss as to why the battery removal/reinstallation didn't work when I tried it before. Anyway, thanks for the input.

If I have futher issues I will post again in this thread.

BTW - I would only go into my verizon store to purchase accessories. The techs at this store couldn't figure out how to get out of a wet paper sack with signs leading the way to the exit.

OP
Sgt Jiggy

Sgt Jiggy

Reaction score
Update X 2

Ok I was thrilled earlier today when my wifi issues appeared to be solved. However; that was through the wireless point at my place of employment. I get home and "nothing, zip, zilch. Same problems I was having earlier. After messing with my router settings for two hours and draining the brain of my favorite IT guy. I gave up. I went to dinner and then had an epiphany "firewall issues".

Got home and I went back into my router settings and turned off the firewall.

Magic - it is working great now at home too. I went in and made a custom exception and all is well. BTW I use a motorola SBG900. dancedroid

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
Guest network

I am new to the Droid X. Love the phone. Rooted the same day, but the one thing that killed me was the wifi issue. I exchanged for another one at the VZW store, but I encountered the same prolems. I stopped by store that had free wifi and to my surprise.........wifi worked the entire time, even the Marketplace! Went home and wifi started acting up again.
So I figure that the issue is the repeater security settings in my router. So I logged into my router and I was able to create a "Guest Network". I enabled this with no security or firewall. This leaves my regular home network protected and with firewall. Hope this info helps.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Open networks, firewalls off.... Not sure these are appropriate solutions given that it was working fine in 2.1 with the routers in the first place.

While an open network allows your phone to connect, it also allows others to connect to your network and use your connection. If you are ok with that, I guess you are ok with it. I wouldn't be though.

Same with turning off a firewall in a router. That seems to be a scary proposition in my opinion. A router with a firewall built in, presumably a reason for buying that model in the first place, only to not use it.... But, if you're ok with it.....

The networking feature in Android needs more visible configuration data so we can see ALL the settings. Given the hardware is the same and the only difference was 2.1 to 2.2, there MUST be a simple change we should be able to change back and have it all work as it did before the OTA. Would be nice if a developer had 2.1 and 2.2 and compared them to see what setting(s) changed. It's got to be in a config file somewhere.....

Koroz

Reaction score
/etc/wifi/twilan.ini I think is the file I know the path is correct (if /etc/wifi fails, use /system/etc/wifi should be the same since its a dynamic link though), I no longer have a DX because of WiFi and 3g dropouts plus the fact that it says it supports N but really doesn't, I decided to get an incredible. You can change a lot about your WiFi in this file but you will mess a lot up too if you aren't careful.

EDIT THIS FILE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I traded my X for an INC and honestly, I am glad I did. No more stupid bugs and errors related to the baseband or WiFi, no more drop outs, perfect 3g in my home which the X could never achieve, and to top it off I don't get the constant WiFi is on, now its not, now it is issues anymore. I don't drop to 1x, lose all Data for 5 minutes anymore. Its like a new phone (it is!). I miss the screen, and the battery life but with some modifications and SetCPU I am able to achieve results using an OEM 1500mAh battery (RHOD160) that are good enough to make it through a full day from 8am until 1am with moderate use.

Koroz

Reaction score
Just download any 2.1 based rom and unzip it to your desktop the file will be in same dir as if it were on your phone.