Wife's First / Advice Wanted

jawa6969

Reaction score
Yo. Getting my wife her first Android phone here in the next week or so. She is coming from a BB Storm (blah) and wants a slide out keyboard. I have the OG Droid 1 (or whatever it is referred to now).

I am personally holding off for a bit till I can gage the full 4g line up. So I will be keeping my Droid for a while. So, my question is, what Droid do I get her? She does not care about 4g or dual processors or memory. I hate to get her anything with a locked bootloader. I am thinking a refurbed Droid 1 from Verizon. That way I can customize the thing for her and know all the ins and outs of the thing as far as ROM's go. Should I look at something other then Moto for her? What would you get your mate (on Verizon BTW)?

Thanks in advance.

Peace
Brad

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With the parameters you've laid out I think the Droid 1 would be an excellent choice. My wife is actively campaigning for me to get a new 4G phone so she can have my Droid 1.

Good luck.

Wefler

Reaction score
If she INSISTS on the slide out keyboard I'd say Droid 2.

She could also look at the Droid Pro, fiance's mom has that and seems to enjoy it. Similar style as the blackberry.

If you could persuade her away from the keyboard just a little DEF go with the Droid X. the thing is a mobile powerhouse and the virtual keyboards are stellar.

Hope you find something she likes!

radioactive

Reaction score
Hold off until 4g line up is ready. Get yourself a 4g and give your D1 to wife. Until then BB

MrKleen

Reaction score
I had both the D1 and the D2. My wife now has my D2 and she really enjoys it.

Comparing the two I would get the D2. Even stock it is very nice. But there are still many Roms that you can try and I don't think the bootloader will be a factor for her. However I would still get a refurbished one so you don't waste an upgrade.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Let her use your D1 to send a couple of text messages to herself using the slide out keyboard and the virtual keyboard. The top row of keys is too close to the screen slider to be really good for, well anything IMO. Let her try to get used to the virtual keyboard and she may be interested in going with an X. That way you get to keep the D1, use her upgrade for her phone and your upgrade for an LTE device. Sounds to me like a win, win, win! lol

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
hes talking about unlocked devices... Honestly id say the Dinc is sewwt as well. Id prolly get her one of those, it is highly hackable too. I have a D1, both r cool.