Why wont universal chargers charge droids?

The Strokes

Reaction score
I have a universal micro-usb charger that wont charge my droid X? What causes it and does anyone
have a "fix for it".

robert70

Reaction score
From my understanding and keep in mind I could be wrong, but the OEM charger is designed to give the exact current and millivots needed to correctly charge that Device and the universal ones are "locked" in to one setting for everything if you will, on top of that I think there is something with the way it fits in the port, again I could be wrong but that's my understanding of it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

moosc

Reaction score
I haven't found a cable or charging accessorie that can't charge my Bionic. They all work even my old bb storm one. And if u buy a car charger from vzw its universal also.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

robert70

Reaction score
Right on, but like I said that was my understanding of it, my BB tour charger wont charge my x2 and I have found that my wife's Droid 2g charger is seriously loose in my phone but rather tight in hers, but our car chargers work either way, hers is universal and mine actually came from vzw in a kit they gave me when I switched from Nextel to vzw. So I guess its a toss up? It'll either work or not?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

pmdracer

Reaction score
Same here. the Verizon-purchased chargers work fine. Universals or cables from the USB port will not charge at all. Perhaps it due to the Verizon-purchased chargers output ~1A. I doubt the universals do.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
It's about the capacity of the charger, it must be within +-10% of the OEM. The Blackberry one I have provides too much power.
I currently use the charger from my Kindle, bluetooth, and an old Palm unit. Most the problems people have is with bad cables
or loose connectors.