why so much hating on the bionic lately??

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Hugh Jass said:
Sad thing is that there was so much backlash and rhetoric about the visual sharpness before release and after initial release that there is no way Moto will ever use the same technology in another phone, so for us outdoorsy active people...back to the stone age with our super HD impossible to see screens.:icon_ nono2:

It isn't really all that. Assuming you don't have your device right up to your face.

Which is what made me toll my eyes. Yeah, you can see dots on the battery and signal bar. But you have to have it right up to your face. Hated when reviewers would put their camera lens on the screen, and be all "see how bad it is".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Bionic_Racer said:
I dont think ive ever experienced any data drops with my b.

What exactly is a data drop? Just losing 3g/4g randomly?

Pretty much. Either the 4G or 3G icon will turn white, or disappear. Sometimes you have data when it's white though.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't LIKE a less sharp display, I'd much rather hold a lightly saturated 1080p in my hands, lol... but for the tradeoff... it's absolutely positively worth it, even if the pixelation were slightly worse.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It all started with the X2. Some reviewers noticed it and started complaining. Pentile got a really bad rep, despite the tech being used before, and no one complained. It's even used on the Galaxy Nexus.

nobreak1970

Reaction score
tjk629 said:
I'm fine with display, and like you said you can't beat how well this phone is in sunlight.

LOVE my Bionic.

Now....question....do you guys use auto brightness? I do and I cant see squat on it on a sunny day.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
And i hate reading about how "bad" the pixelation on our displays is. I dont even see it, only at first--and even then it was only noticeable to me if id hold it a few inches from my eyes and looked at the signal bars or wifi status.

Pixels are absolutely not an issue for me at all. I think devotees of other devices jist like to find flaws in the phones they dont own.

It's bad bro. It's not unbearable, but it could be a lot better. I had a Bionic since release and I never felt it was *THAT* bad, but then I got the GNex and its pentile display is MUUUCH better.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Duh.. Yea!!! Their not going to keep putting old tech in new phones!!! The BIONIC WAS, AND IS BADA$$ for its time! And its not even a year old yet ? Now bigger and better keeps coming out everyday! Pretty soon your gnex and maxx is going to be compared to an Atari 2600. Lol. My Bionic will forever be the best toy I've had! Some things you'll always remember!!!

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Duh.. Yea!!! Their not going to keep putting old tech in new phones!!! The BIONIC WAS, AND IS BADA$$ for its time! And its not even a year old yet ? Now bigger and better keeps coming out everyday! Pretty soon your gnex and maxx is going to be compared to an Atari 2600. Lol. My Bionic will forever be the best toy I've had! Some things you'll always remember!!!

Bionic is a great device.. I gave mine to my gf, so I could take her upgrade for the GNex. Just did the update to .905 on hers. One nice thing is it kept root. Everytime I use her phone I think, "this is a solid phone.. fast and very reliable" .. It gets awesome battery life too. My GNex blows through battery like it's nothing. Worst part about the phone.

B

bens42608

the coolest things attract the most haters. Thee bionic is awesome so the amount of haters is ridiculous

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well 893 fixed my blank screen battery pulling issue. Haven't had the issue since that update. So, I'm happy to say that my Bionic is not broken.

As for gameloft, I don't care for there stuff. So I don't download their stuff.

Though, I found out latter that after the first pull clearing cache would help.

I guess the black screen thing is unexplainable then, although it may be that they tweaked the proximity sensor operation with .893 and later. Glad it's not doing it anymore, but 5 times in 10 minutes is the worst i've ever heard of.

As for Gameloft, I like some of their games, others not so much. I do like Asphalt 6 (especially since I got it for $0.10 during the 10 cent sale) - I don't play the Gangstar games very much anymore though, now that the real thing (GTA III) is available for Android. They aren't my favorite developer though, much like Electronic Arts they seldom (if ever) update their games. I'm just glad they are finally on the Play Store and not their stupid mobile site.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm so damn happy I can call from my house now without being on wireless I'm hesitant to upgrade. This phone is awesome just the way it is. May bootstrap, nandroid, and try 905 this weekend.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The reason I recommend upgrading is that ICS will likely be a .905-->ICS update only, you probably won't be able to upgrade direct from .902

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing the Bionic will always have over all other smartphones is the display... no it's not the sharpest, the brightest, the most saturated colors...but DAMN is it great in sunlight (I work construction). I don't know how I'm going to ever go back to traditional display technology now.

That said, my 3.5mm jack has been screwed since 3 months after I bought it. I also broke my volume rocker, but I'm hard on phones given my profession.

My biggest fear is that no other phone will come out using the same screen technology (due to the criticism) and i'll never again be able to use my phone outdoors effectively.

People, it's NOT pixelation you're seeing, it's simply the fact that the Pentile LCD display LOOKS different than a traditional LCD. It just takes some getting used to. It's not fair to compare a qHD screen to a 720p screen like on the GNex or Rezound, that's like comparing an "old" iPhone display to a "retina" display. Pentile is a tradeoff, you give up some sharpness for outdoor visibility. And to me, the colors look more natural, and less oversaturated.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOVE my Bionic.

Now....question....do you guys use auto brightness? I do and I cant see squat on it on a sunny day.

All the time. And it does exactly what it's supposed to in bright sunlight - it kicks my display up to 100% brightness and I can see it clearly. If it fails to do this, a quick reboot brings it right back.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
My biggest fear is that no other phone will come out using the same screen technology (due to the criticism) and i'll never again be able to use my phone outdoors effectively.

People, it's NOT pixelation you're seeing, it's simply the fact that the Pentile LCD display LOOKS different than a traditional LCD. It just takes some getting used to. It's not fair to compare a qHD screen to a 720p screen like on the GNex or Rezound, that's like comparing an "old" iPhone display to a "retina" display. Pentile is a tradeoff, you give up some sharpness for outdoor visibility. And to me, the colors look more natural, and less oversaturated.

Yes I agree however I'm sure the gnex has a pentile as well...right? I thought it did anyway..

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2