Why should I keep Asurion?

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I'm with LtKen on this one. You say you're extending by 2 years. The most you can be extended is 24 months from the current day you get the phone, so in other words, you won't have a phone that is in contract any further than 12/6/2012. Lets say you got a phone on 12/6/2010 and a month later 1/6/2011 you go into Best Buy for a "free" or reduced priced phone, you will not be able to get it for the line you upgraded to on 12/6/10, and it will not extend your contract to 1/6/2014. It just doesn't work that way. You might want to sit down and really look at what you've been doing.

You are telling me I can't do what I just did. I have no upgrades on any of my 4 phones. My oldest phone is my D1, Feb '10. The Ally I bought in August '10 for $50 was destroyed in a fire. (obviously less than 2 years old) I filled out Assurion forms on-line and they would replace for $50. Best Buy gave me one for $0. On the day I got the new Ally, BB also had D1's for free, but out of stock and I needed a replacement without driving to the next city. If in stock I would have another D1 on my account FOR FREE

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I'm with LtKen on this one. You say you're extending by 2 years. The most you can be extended is 24 months from the current day you get the phone, so in other words, you won't have a phone that is in contract any further than 12/6/2012. Lets say you got a phone on 12/6/2010 and a month later 1/6/2011 you go into Best Buy for a "free" or reduced priced phone, you will not be able to get it for the line you upgraded to on 12/6/10, and it will not extend your contract to 1/6/2014. It just doesn't work that way. You might want to sit down and really look at what you've been doing.

You are telling me I can't do what I just did. I have no upgrades on any of my 4 phones. My oldest phone is my D1, Feb '10. The Ally I bought in August '10 for $50 was destroyed in a fire. (obviously less than 2 years old) I filled out Assurion forms on-line and they would replace for $50. Best Buy gave me one for $0. On the day I got the new Ally, BB also had D1's for free, but out of stock and I needed a replacement without driving to the next city. If in stock I would have another D1 on my account FOR FREE

They're telling you that either 1) you misunderstand what you did or 2) the person who did it royally screwed up and did something they should never be allowed to do. If you are absolutely certain it is not 1), then it is 2) and you should not expect it to ever work again.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just like everything else, items depreciate over time. With electronic devices the process is much faster. I have insurance on my D1 and my wife's D1 since the day we bought it in Nov 09. Just the other day my daughter dropped my wife's phone cracking the screen. Asurian wants an $80 deductible for a replacement. Now how much can I get a D1 for? without looking too hard I'm sure I can find a new one for less than $100. Insurance should only be purchased if the value of the phone exceeds the deductible and the cost of the monthly premium. I will get a replacement phone from asurian for my wife, then cancel coverages for both phones.

This is wise thinking and I'm a bit ashamed to admit that when it comes to phones I never thought of it that way. I think I'll tell my wife she should cancel the insurance on her D1 now.

y0manda

Reaction score
I just called asurian, the blunt lady who received my claim start up wanted 89$ before we proceeded any further. I interrupted her and asked what phone will i be receiving. She answered "the same droid" I asked her if it was redurbished and she replied "i may be but that is why we are giving it to you at the fraction of the price of a new one". I told her I want an equally or better replacement not a redurbished one. The lady said she can forward me to a verizon store so I can pay full price for a new phone. I told her I can buy a refirbed price on ebay for 50$ but I don't want a refirbed phone. She said have a nice day, and I told her that we will be canceling our insurance since its useless.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Your yearly insurance payments plus the deductible don't come even close to the price of a new Droid. Not to mention, you can make two claims a year.

It's completely understandable they're only offering refurbished.

MonKENy

Reaction score
I have always kept insurance on all of my phones. A few days ago the car my daughter drives exploded and burnt to the ground. Thankfully she was ok, but the car and contents which included her phone is gone.

I submitted an Asurion claim for the loss. They approved, but were out of her phone (Ally) and offered a Devour. I wanted to check specs before I agreed. In the mean time I checked Best Buy. The Ally is now free. They have a few more free Android options including D1 and (Friday) the Incredible. She likes the physical keyboard so I got her another Ally at Best Buy free. An Asurion replacement would cost $50.

Why pay a monthly fee to pay another $50 for a replacement when you can have several free choices at Best Buy?

This is what happened, your phone got destroyed...insurance wanted $50..you went to bestbuy...you RENEWNED your contract so you got a free phone.

Had this been 6months or a year ago you would NOT have gotten that phone free w/the same promo. You were not eligable at that time.

If something happens to that phone again w/out insurance you will NOT recieve a free phone with these promotions. You didnt get a deal..sep next year ill be able to walk into any verizon and get a free phone with a renewal of my 2 year contract as well.

MonKENy

Reaction score
I just called asurian, the blunt lady who received my claim start up wanted 89$ before we proceeded any further. I interrupted her and asked what phone will i be receiving. She answered "the same droid" I asked her if it was redurbished and she replied "i may be but that is why we are giving it to you at the fraction of the price of a new one". I told her I want an equally or better replacement not a redurbished one. The lady said she can forward me to a verizon store so I can pay full price for a new phone. I told her I can buy a refirbed price on ebay for 50$ but I don't want a refirbed phone. She said have a nice day, and I told her that we will be canceling our insurance since its useless.

seriously come on, you are talking about $8 x 24months (at most) = $192 + $89 deduc = $281 can you buy a brand new droid for 281? Plus I know a few ppl who have refurbs and they are like new.

You didnt lose a Brand new phone..so why should you get a brand new phone. When you get into an accident do they buy you a brand new car? no they give you what the car was worth at the time. Dont be greedy.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! Do what I do: carry insurance until you can upgrade.

seriously come on, you are talking about $8 x 24months (at most) = $192 + $89 deduc = $281 can you buy a brand new droid for 281? Plus I know a few ppl who have refurbs and they are like new.

You didnt lose a Brand new phone..so why should you get a brand new phone. When you get into an accident do they buy you a brand new car? no they give you what the car was worth at the time. Dont be greedy.

DroidForums junkie!!

GT944

Reaction score
Right but you had to sign a new contract right?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Yeah, seems like the key here would be the contract - I run insurance but not through Asurion. It's worth it if you have an upper end device but when the contract is up you may as well drop it and opt for upgrade/resign if the phone fails. In the meantime though... not a bad way to go I think.

Sent from my ADR6300

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
So here's my revised thought on this topic (old too, just didn't think about it in this light). I don't get Asurion insurance or anything else. Instead, I pay an extra $70 for a 1-year contract and that is kinda my "insurance". If something happens to my phone in that first year, then my plan is to go find a temporary phone to wait out the contract (Droid 1 most likely) until my next upgrade and then I'll get a new latest/greatest phone. And if I don't kill my phone, then it will become my "free" backup phone (and wifi toy) in the future.

Yeah, this forces me to ALWAYS pay $70/yr + ~$200 for the next phone (if I upgrade when I'm able to) but that's okay, it means new shiny toys for me MUCH sooner than otherwise! With phones going EOL and technology improving at the rate it is, I just can't imagine keeping a phone for 2 years. I REALLY tried that with my G1 and I just couldn't do it, even with CM running on it.

So yeah, not really insurance but it works for me, plus is cheaper than $8/mo ($96/yr + deductible).

Beka27

Reaction score
^^^Interesting outlook. Just got my X on a 2 year, but this would be something to keep in mind when I want to upgrade. I can hold onto my X just in case.

davers_sea

Reaction score
Phone Insurance - check out www.Safeware.com

I just upgraded to 2-new Droid 2 Global phones with Verizon, and began checking out Insurance for the phones. I stumbled on a company in Ohio, Safeware, which seems to offer the best price, least deductible and immediate coverage. Also their coverage for everything seems SUPER. It's $165 for 2 years (you can buy it for 1 year too), with a $50 deductible for as many times as you break/lose the phone. Coverage began immediately. Check them out at www.safeware.com or 800-800-1492.

MonKENy

Reaction score
I just upgraded to 2-new Droid 2 Global phones with Verizon, and began checking out Insurance for the phones. I stumbled on a company in Ohio, Safeware, which seems to offer the best price, least deductible and immediate coverage. Also their coverage for everything seems SUPER. It's $165 for 2 years (you can buy it for 1 year too), with a $50 deductible for as many times as you break/lose the phone. Coverage began immediately. Check them out at www.safeware.com or 800-800-1492.

Awesome, Ill keep this in mind when I get my phone

alwerner

Reaction score
What you described is not much different then if you bought a car. 3 years ago you bought a 2008 Mustang for $25,000 and you total it. The insurance company will give you money for what it's worth today (e.g. not $25,000 and you won't get a NEW 2008 Mustang nor will you get a 2011 Mustang).

Do you have the cash to replace your car? Or do you use insurance?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Asurion only because they cover lost and stolen phones with no hassles. Well....no hassles for me anyway.

If some insurance covers lost and stolen with no problems (no police reports needed) then I'll check em out.

And I too will be doing 1 year contracts from now on. I have a Droid 1 now, and my Droid X is about to become my 2nd good back up phone when the dual cores hit. Too much good stuff coming out so fast...Pretty soon imma need that Powermat to charge my phones...