Why is the phone bill remains the same price, without a contract?

DRIOD Cauly

Reaction score
I have DX2 with unlimited data, and next month I will be eligiblefor an upgrade however I am thinking of paying full price for a SG III, instead of getting the phone at a subsidized price and locking with Verizon for the next two years, and losing my unlimited. I have a question that is bothering me; I understand that if I bought the phone at a subsidized price, the phone still belongsto Verizon for 2 years, until it is paid off. My bill now is $75.oo each moths including taxes however the question that I have is if I paid full price for the SG III, and I am not in a contract for two years being a free agent, shouldn’t my bill be reduced to a lower amount because I am not paying for a subsidized phone? Because I know that when I purchased a subsidized phone the phone still belongs to Verizon for 2 years, until it is paid off. I know the reason Verizon locks people in for two years is so they can recoup the money's for the phone that was sold initially at a subsidized price, if I already paid full price up front and only using their services, I think the monthly prices should be less.

Last edited:

antonyz409

Reaction score
i dont know why they say it verizons phone its not its yours, thats why they have the etf for but thats just my opinion.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have DX2 with unlimited data, and next month I will be eligiblefor an upgrade however I am thinking of paying full price for a SG III, instead of getting the phone at a subsidized price and locking with Verizon for the next two years, and losing my unlimited. I have a question that is bothering me; I understand that if I bought the phone at a subsidized price, the phone still belongsto Verizon for 2 years, until it is paid off. My bill now is $75.oo each moths including taxes however the question that I have is if I paid full price for the SG III, and I am not in a contract for two years being a free agent, shouldn’t my bill be reduced to a lower amount because I am not paying for a subsidized phone? Because I know that when I purchased a subsidized phone the phone still belongs to Verizon for 2 years, until it is paid off. I know the reason Verizon locks people in for two years is so they can recoup the money's for the phone that was sold initially at a subsidized price, if I already paid full price up front and only using their services, I think the monthly prices should be less.

If you called and asked, I could almost guarantee that vzw would offer you an early upgrade to a 4g device, including pre ordering the s3 and you would keep your unlimited data.

Also, when you buy a device at the 2 year price, it yours. You can take it.right off your account and sell it and vzw wouldn't care. They get their money from the rate you pay for service, its already factored in.. so call today and preorder the s3 if you like.

That way you lock in the unlimited for 2 years, and you get a good price on a 4g device. Win win.

If you don't care for the s3, how bout a maxx?? A nexus? Its your call.

But i would ALMOST guarantee an early upgrade if you ask for it.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your bill each month is for your monthly access plan, data, extra features, overages and taxes. Nothing takes into consideration the fact you got a subsidized phone. I'm not sure where in your phone bill that is higher because you were in a 2 year contract with a subsidized pricing in exchange for the 2 year commitment to be on VZW.

I will try to use an analogy. You buy a car and have a car loan, you also obviously have to have insurance on your car. Your declarations pages also list your lienholder. Once your car is paid off, your lienholder is no longer an interest, but your insurance rates do not drop because your car is paid off.

stylekimchee

Reaction score
Ive heard from a tmobile employee that you get a cheaper plan when don't get an "upgraded phone". Although this is t-mobile I would be under the impression that many other wireless providers would use similar strategies. I will repost if I can dig anything out of the internet.

Caesars

Reaction score
Because if it was cheaper per month if you used your own phone, Verizon would make a lot less money hehe. It all comes down to the green, if I could buy a used <insert new flagship droid every 2months> and pay Verizon $20 less a month, they would have sad shareholders.

I'm pretty sure tmobile is the only company who made a decent attempt at this type pricing, and the brainwashed consumers couldn't see it was a better deal (or maybe tmobile coverage sucks hehe). Why pay $500 for a phone when Verizon has it for $200 with a monthly plan that's $40 more a month, *stupid Americans* hehe.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your bill each month is for your monthly access plan, data, extra features, overages and taxes. Nothing takes into consideration the fact you got a subsidized phone. I'm not sure where in your phone bill that is higher because you were in a 2 year contract with a subsidized pricing in exchange for the 2 year commitment to be on VZW.

I will try to use an analogy. You buy a car and have a car loan, you also obviously have to have insurance on your car. Your declarations pages also list your lienholder. Once your car is paid off, your lienholder is no longer an interest, but your insurance rates do not drop because your car is paid off.

+1

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Ive heard from a tmobile employee that you get a cheaper plan when don't get an "upgraded phone". Although this is t-mobile I would be under the impression that many other wireless providers would use similar strategies. I will repost if I can dig anything out of the internet.

I think you're thinking of their prepaid service. I THINK it's prepaid. But Tmobile has plans available where you don't get subsidized pricing on phones. Instead you pay the full price, but you have the option to make payments on the phone.

stylekimchee

Reaction score
Because if it was cheaper per month if you used your own phone, Verizon would make a lot less money hehe. It all comes down to the green, if I could buy a used <insert new flagship droid every 2months> and pay Verizon $20 less a month, they would have sad shareholders.

I'm pretty sure tmobile is the only company who made a decent attempt at this type pricing, and the brainwashed consumers couldn't see it was a better deal (or maybe tmobile coverage sucks hehe). Why pay $500 for a phone when Verizon has it for $200 with a monthly plan that's $40 more a month, *stupid Americans* hehe.

Well the idea behind it being cheaper every month is that they are having you pay off the phone each month rather than a lump sum in the beginning. That way, people assume they are getting a better deal because the phone is a fifth of the cost. And I'm not quite sure where you're going with that last statement :( I kind of just woke up haha