Why does HTC charge so slow on USB?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I came from a DX and then a Razr, and just like the iPhone and every other phones I have had, they charged just as fast whether it was from USB or a wall charger.

So why does HTC charge in "trickle mode" from USB, and only charges at full speed when plugged into an AC charger? I have never heard of this before, but my phone is plugged into the PC, and even though it is charging I can watch the battery % continue to go down as I use it. I read that when using a USB port, it only "trickle" charges it, which is completely unnecessary and stupid, IMHO. No other phone I have used did it that way, why does HTC?

And more importantly, can we change that?

mikeinctown

Reaction score
My original Droid and every other Verizon cell always charged slower. On my og the car charger worked fastest.

Sent from my Rezound using DroidForums.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you using the MHL(USB that came with the phone) cable or a standard micro-USB? I don't have any problems charging via the one provided with the phone. Also are you sure that your USB port isn't being switch back to USB 1? Windows does this sometimes especially on battery.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you using the MHL(USB that came with the phone) cable or a standard micro-USB? I don't have any problems charging via the one provided with the phone. Also are you sure that your USB port isn't being switch back to USB 1? Windows does this sometimes especially on battery.

It is a desktop PC, so it is not on battery power where it might not let the USB port have full power...

It is slow with either a standard Micro USB cable that came with the DX or TBolt, and also slower with the new one that came with the phone. I realize that charging sources may have difference charging capacities, but it should not be this different.

If the AC charger takes an hour, the USB port takes 6 hours, the difference between the two is that much. And the manual even says that if you are on USB power(does not make mention of cable type), that the phone is on trickle mode and they do not recommend using it if the battery shows less than 10%. Only the AC source seems to charge the phone fast.

It is bad enough that if you have the phone on and are using it, the screen drains the battery faster than the USB cable can charge it, which I have never seen before on any smartphone. Not saying that they do not exist, but I have never owned one...

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if mine has an issue? My battery was at 80%. I put it on the AC charger and have left the screen off for an hour and it has not hit 100% yet. It should not take an AC charger more than an hour to charge the battery 20%. I will see if they will swap the battery at the VZW store tonight. Something is not right. Donna's new Rezound came with 30% of a charge and it hit 100% in less time than it is taking me to get from 80 to 100%, using the same AC charger and cord... hmmm....

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
It is a desktop PC, so it is not on battery power where it might not let the USB port have full power...

It is slow with either a standard Micro USB cable that came with the DX or TBolt, and also slower with the new one that came with the phone. I realize that charging sources may have difference charging capacities, but it should not be this different.

If the AC charger takes an hour, the USB port takes 6 hours, the difference between the two is that much. And the manual even says that if you are on USB power(does not make mention of cable type), that the phone is on trickle mode and they do not recommend using it if the battery shows less than 10%. Only the AC source seems to charge the phone fast.

It is bad enough that if you have the phone on and are using it, the screen drains the battery faster than the USB cable can charge it, which I have never seen before on any smartphone. Not saying that they do not exist, but I have never owned one...

Oh wow. Shoot holes in all our "solutions" then..haha. I'll time mine tonight and if it takes less than 1 hour then maybe you got a bum phone/battery.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Yeah, my OG charged in less than 2 hours. I need to leave mine on the charger for what seems like forever. I hope it's just a bad battery and not a bad phone. If it wasn't for the battery issues I would say this thing is perfect.

kparks

Reaction score
I have had this experience a lot when charging through a computer on many phones..every phone takes forever charging on a pc

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

didiwags

Reaction score
Really? I hated using my computer to charge my Droid X. I thought it took FOREVER!!! I do not see any difference with the Rezound, not any slower or faster when charging with the usb via computer.