Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Giant25...same issue here with Slacker, bass isn't right anymore with 2.2. Do you have problems with force close when skipping a song?...I do :(
I just have sound quality issues, no force closes. I tried to ask if anyone had problems when hooking up to a real stereo in an earlier post, but all I got was some sarcastic non-answer trying to make me sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. So I'll try to ask again, does anyone have great sounding Slacker or Pandora on a real stereo with 2.2 (non-root)? Thanks.
If that was my post about running the update manually, it was a serious answer. If you won't do it, then that's fine, it's your choice. If it was the one about Windows XP, that had nothing to do with you whatsoever.

So let's try this again since trying to get you to fix the problem with installing a better update than the OTA isn't an acceptable alternative.

Are you running Slacker free or the paid version? The free version is highly-compressed music that will be clipped on both ends to conserve bandwidth. This is a problem with any MP3; the compression is very smart but it does eventually start cutting into quality. I imagine, based on my subjective testing, that the audio is compressed to a bitrate of about 96 whereas a CD (which itself often sounds a bit cold and sterile compared to an analog recording) is 320. Pump that out to a high-quality stereo and an audiophile will notice. Headphones, maybe not so much.

If things sounded a lot better on 2.1 then it might be the new stagefright codec or whatever the heck it's called. I was reading up on it in another thread with a Pandora issue (totally unrelated) and it was reported that changing or uninstalling the codec improves sound quality. In the same thread it was reported it didn't, but YMMV if you want to try it.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Giant25...same issue here with Slacker, bass isn't right anymore with 2.2. Do you have problems with force close when skipping a song?...I do :(
I just have sound quality issues, no force closes. I tried to ask if anyone had problems when hooking up to a real stereo in an earlier post, but all I got was some sarcastic non-answer trying to make me sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. So I'll try to ask again, does anyone have great sounding Slacker or Pandora on a real stereo with 2.2 (non-root)? Thanks.
If that was my post about running the update manually, it was a serious answer. If you won't do it, then that's fine, it's your choice. If it was the one about Windows XP, that had nothing to do with you whatsoever.

So let's try this again since trying to get you to fix the problem with installing a better update than the OTA isn't an acceptable alternative.

Are you running Slacker free or the paid version? The free version is highly-compressed music that will be clipped on both ends to conserve bandwidth. This is a problem with any MP3; the compression is very smart but it does eventually start cutting into quality. I imagine, based on my subjective testing, that the audio is compressed to a bitrate of about 96 whereas a CD (which itself often sounds a bit cold and sterile compared to an analog recording) is 320. Pump that out to a high-quality stereo and an audiophile will notice. Headphones, maybe not so much.

If things sounded a lot better on 2.1 then it might be the new stagefright codec or whatever the heck it's called. I was reading up on it in another thread with a Pandora issue (totally unrelated) and it was reported that changing or uninstalling the codec improves sound quality. In the same thread it was reported it didn't, but YMMV if you want to try it.
All I was looking for was someone else who plays their music through a real stereo and if they have noticed a difference since 2.2. The difference is drastic, and is not a compression issue with Pandora or Slacker. I have the free version of both of them. It looks like this problem is all over the forum so I now know it is a real problem with Google. There's even an extensive bug report as well. Just wondering if anyone has found a fix or a way to improve this.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yes, they have. You have to do something with the stagefright codec. I'm sorry if I wasn't perfectly crystal clear about that in my previous post, but the fix isn't as simple as flipping a switch in your phone.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Yes, they have. You have to do something with the stagefright codec. I'm sorry if I wasn't perfectly crystal clear about that in my previous post, but the fix isn't as simple as flipping a switch in your phone.
Ok, I'm out of this thread. Going to go find the answers elsewhere I guess.

pistacio

Reaction score

Yes the sound issue was there after 2.2, before and after rooting :) I have not updated Slacker since I had 2.1, so I believe it is Froyo related audio issue.

Thru car stereo and 2.1 PC speakers also. SLACKER version 1.0.388

turdbogls

Reaction score
for me the 2.2 update has me wondering. basically i went from stock 2.1 to rooted and OC'd 2.2, and i can really tell a difference in speed especially on the web. however i absolutely HATE the redraw lag i get whenever i go to my home screen. i am sure a ROM will come out sooner or later that will get rid of this and made 2.2 a 100% win for me...right now it is about 65% win, 35% loose. thankfully i have a dock charger at work and home so the battery issue is not an issue for me.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo

Yes the sound issue was there after 2.2, before and after rooting :) I have not updated Slacker since I had 2.1, so I believe it is Froyo related audio issue.

Thru car stereo and 2.1 PC speakers also. SLACKER version 1.0.388
Thanks for the reply. I've tried the older version and the newer of Slacker. I'm currently running the latest version 2.0.140 with no resolution to the problem. I guess I have to look into rooting and tweaking if I want to fix this....

davidbehrns

Reaction score
Yup. And if you've done that, why not try a Custom ROM. What's so special about 2.1, anyway, other than being different by running obsolete, less-stable, slow-running, poorer-performing code? You a Windows user or something?
I'm thinking the person wanting to "downgrade to 2.1" most likely did the same thing I did. He/She loaded the "Patch" version of 2.2 (about 40MB) vs. the "Full" version (about 70MB). After updating with the 2.2 "Full" version and playing with my phone over the weekend I have determined that the 2.2 "Full" version is the way to go. My battery is lasting much longer and some of the strange sluggish behavior has disappeared.

My only argument against a "custom ROM" is there is no chart or resource anywhere that lets you choose which one is the best for you. The only advice I got is "download some and try them out, that is half the fun." That isn't really "fun" in my book since I like to know what I'm getting myself in to and I have a certain set of features that I use all the time. If those work differently or not at all then I will be forever swapping ROMs just to get my basic functionality back.

njd

Reaction score
I like froyo, except my phone HAS become slower and the battery has been dying more quickly than when I had 2.1. My phone usage habits haven't changed at all. In fact, I've barely even used the new flash capabilities, and I haven't added any new apps. If your phone has worked faster for you since the update, good for you. That doesn't mean those of us who have had issues with the update are lying.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I like froyo, except my phone HAS become slower and the battery has been dying more quickly than when I had 2.1. My phone usage habits haven't changed at all. In fact, I've barely even used the new flash capabilities, and I haven't added any new apps. If your phone has worked faster for you since the update, good for you. That doesn't mean those of us who have had issues with the update are lying.

I know for a FACT you are NOT lying about those issues because I personally experienced them. Give the 70MB version of the update a try It worked for me :). If it doesn't work for you I would be curious to see what the problem is.

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/voles/signed-voles-FRG22D-from-FRG01B.688e3520.zip

Also give the next patch in line a try. (It is very small 1.6MB indicating to me that it is a bunch of bug fixes as opposed to added features) It is also very telling that this "UPDATE" is quickly on the heels of the other one. The only times I have seen software developers do this is when they really mess something up and a lot of people notice.

I will be installing this today to see what it fixes

Hermes

Reaction score
I've been away from this forum for a long time. My Droid is set up very basic and I have only a couple of apps installed. The 2.2 update has made my Droid very slow and 50 percent of the time when browsing and I click on a link nothing happens. The only way to open the link is to double tap to zoom the page and then click the link again. I'm growing tired of this and its very disappointing. What a waste...

en28so

Reaction score
well i"m rooted, and my battery lasts about 4hrs, while surfing the web, using stereo bluetooth and sending instant messages also. I think that's a pretty good battery life correct? I fixed the redraw issue by using the ADW launcher and by not letting the screen rotate(apps don't rotate when I rotate the phone). I think the battery did last longer on 2.1, but now my phone is much faster than before running on 2.2.

mlbumiller

Reaction score
dissappointed with battery life

I just got my Droid in Aug. Since received the update, my battery never last more then a day... heck even if i am surfing the net while it is pluged it my battery dips lower and lower. This morning i received the 2.2 and serveral of the sites i frequent, the flash isnt even working...... whats the deal.

Gary Stockdale

Reaction score
Slow system

How do I download the update patch from my phone? I'm also experiencing a lot of sluggishness since the 2.2 upgrade.

Thanks,
Gary Stockdale