Who would pay a dev for an FM transmitter app that actually works? (I would).

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
I'd like to stream music to my car radio from my Droid, I assume this could be accomplished if this comes about?

Yes it could, and BTW the laws governing max power of an unregistered FM transmitter are not usually the limiting factor for this application. FCC part 15 limits broadcast strength of unlicensed FM emitters to 250 µV/m field strength at 3 meters (yes it's defined in meters) from the antenna, this is powerful enough to travel at least 150 feet.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Myself as well, I've been hurting for a replacement since I got a droid from my ipod touch for the belkin transmitter.

Dr01d

Reaction score
The best APP using this would be to transmit to your car FM radio so you could use it as a hands free device.

The best 99 dollars I've ever spent.

MOTOROKR T505 - Motorola

Worked great but if your main purpose is to transmit music through your radio, I wouldn't suggest it. I guess if you just want the basics it works, but if you turn your stereo up at all it sounds pretty bad.

Not my experience at all.

I did find that if my media volume was low on my phone and I tried to compensate by turning my cars radio up it sounded bad, but simply turning my phones volume up first then adjusting my car's radio solved that problem totally. Worked and sounded as good or better than any direct fm transmitter I have ever owned. :)

billyk

Reaction score
I'd be interested as well in an integrated solution. Currently, I use a Monster FM transmitter with my Droid, same thing as the iCarPlay (or something like that) for the iPod, but with a standard miniplug on the end.

It's OK - about as good as any FM transmitter can get, IMO. It gets crappy when it competes for frequencies when I am in urban areas. I paid about $13 on the 'bay for it (iPod version was $50).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who would pay a dev for an FM transmitter app that actually works?
Not me. FM transmitters should be the option of last resort. And "actually works" is a massive assumption.

I did at one time have a Scosche FM transmitter which was cheap and one of the best FM transmitters I've run across but generally they're not worth it IMO.

Last edited:

jbr13

Reaction score
Wouldn't there be issues with transmitting, like having to get an Radio Operator's Permit?

Receiving FM radio would be pretty cool though...!

There are rules on transmitting FM signals. You can do this with out a Radio Operators lic. As long as you stay under a couple of watts output power and don't transmit any further than a mile or mile and a half, you can do this with out a lic.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would never pay for any of the drivel that is on FM these days. For me it's Sirius/XM or nothing.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i would kill for this. especially if the signal strength is better than what is allowed (is it FCC? nah.. can't remember who polices that crap) right now. every FM transmitter on the market sucks for my car because the antenna is embedded in the back glass.
hey sam, your antenna is embedded (written) to the glass, but there's still a wire involved. you might have better luck with FM transmitters that actually attach to the radio's antenna.

when CD changes first came out, that's how mine was installed and i never received interference.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would never pay for any of the drivel that is on FM these days. For me it's Sirius/XM or nothing.
you DO realize we're talking about transmitting your signal across FM so that you can listen to your device over the radio, right? ;)

but yes, FM programming is drivel. lol.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you DO realize we're talking about transmitting your signal across FM so that you can listen to your device over the radio, right? ;)

but yes, FM programming is drivel. lol.

Yes, I realize that but I thought I read that you were talking about receiving regular fm channels as well.

I still wouldn't pay for it. It would come in like garbage I'm sure of it. I had XM hooked up through FM once and also phones hooked up that way and it was terrible.

I'll just stick to my 3.5mm jack for my own music.

justicw

Reaction score
I would pay I want to listen on my drive to work every day. I am using headphones now and its a pain in the ass. Couldn't you also use the same tech using the phone function as well? you know hearing the person over your car radio? I think there is a device on one of those late night adds?

audioman42

Reaction score
I'd pay for it. I've been using the 3.5mm jack thus far, but I want to go wireless now. With this app I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of installing one of those Bluetooth thingies in my car.

TiberiusX

Reaction score
Count me in the less wires the better. I have a Sirius receiver with a built in FM transmitter that works perfectly at the moment, so I know a good FM transmitter works well.

bacalao

Reaction score
People would actually PAY to listen to Rush or Beck?? What is this country coming to!

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
People would actually PAY to listen to Rush or Beck?? What is this country coming to!

lol, I'd comment on that but I leave my politics out of the forum... and pretty much everything, isn't worth it to argue with people I like when they are concrete set in their ways (much like me lol)