Where did my browser go?

apsando

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Hey, I ran the phone update on my Droid 1 last week and since then I have not been able to use my browser.

When I click on the browser icon it tells me that that app is not installed. None of my other apps were deleted in this process. When I try to search with the google bar on the home screen it just stays on the search term screen. The Facebook app works fine but Goggles wont search.

Has anyone had this problem? Any recommendations on how to fix it? Does anyone know what the default browser is called?

keiichi25

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Hey, I ran the phone update on my Droid 1 last week and since then I have not been able to use my browser.

When I click on the browser icon it tells me that that app is not installed. None of my other apps were deleted in this process. When I try to search with the google bar on the home screen it just stays on the search term screen. The Facebook app works fine but Goggles wont search.

Has anyone had this problem? Any recommendations on how to fix it? Does anyone know what the default browser is called?

First guess is that it sounds like your update got corrupted. You might want to re-download the firmware update from here, follow the manual update instructions and reload your firmware.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First guess is that it sounds like your update got corrupted. You might want to re-download the firmware update from here, follow the manual update instructions and reload your firmware.

WAIT!!! Before we jump to those conclusions (which might create more of a hassle for the OP)

Let's try the obvious FIRST:

apsando....

My guess is that you tried to access your Browser through a shortcut (icon) that was already on your home screen before the update, correct?

If so, try to access the Browser from your APPS LAUNCHER DRAWER.

If this worked for you, that means you simply need to delete the Browser icon from our home screen and create a new one, because your icon is still pointing to the OLD 2.1 version of the Browser app (which is no longer on your phone, but has been replaced with a newer 2.2 version of the app).

To delete your old icon, long press on it until it highlights and the phone vibrates, then drag it to the trash can at the bottom of the screen.

Create a new shortcut to the Browser by long-pressing on an empty area of the home screen, then select "Shortcuts" from the Add to Home Screen menu, then select "Applications" then wait for the apps list to load then select "Browser".

People need to remember that some of the apps from 2.1 were updated with 2.2..... this caused people's shortcuts (home screen icons) to fail, as the old icons were pointing to the old 2.1 versions of these apps. The same thing happened to people with Camera and Galery and Music icons on their home screens.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Lol why in the hell would you need a shortcut to the Browser in 2.2 anyway? It's right on the bottom of the home screen. :)

OP
A

apsando

Reaction score
Thats what I was using, the link at the bottom of the screen. There is no other link and it is not to be found under the "manage apps" section in the settings

Sweettooth

Reaction score
The default browser is just called Browser. If the quick-launch icon or the Browser icon in the app drawer don't work then yeah you definitely have a serious issue as you cannot simply re-download the default browser. You'll likely have to do a factory reset. Perhaps when the 2.2 update was downloading/installing it hiccuped but progressed anyway.

OP
A

apsando

Reaction score
Had a live chat with the folks at Motorola and they had me run a factory rest and it was no help. I was told that I had to talk to a Level 3 and to get there I needed to be transfered to a Level 2. Apparently they have a D&D business structure there.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would just reflash the update, plenty of threads here for doing that.

Snoking

Reaction score
Get the 76MB file from the circus thread (http://www.mediafire.com/file/54jg83...-ota-45394.zip) and follow the manual install instructions. It is not hard. I did it two days ago and my phone is running great now. Chris
1. Download the file to your PC.
2. Rename it to update(PC will add .zip)
3. Connect your phone to the PC and mount the drive.
4. Drag the file to the card at the level that shows all the folders.
5. Disconnect the phone and Power the phone off making sure the battery is well charged.
6. Hold the x key on the physical keyboard and power on the phone, continuing to hold the x key until the next step.
7. At the triangle ! screen push the vol up and camera buttons at the same time.
8. Use the rocker on the physical keyboard to select the update.
9. Push the center of the rocker to active the update
10. After that completes, select reboot and reboot the phone.
Chris

Last edited: