Where can I find free music to put on my Motorola Droid?

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Here's some background info.

I do not own a desktop or laptop computer. I can use the local library if I need to but only for internet surfing. No place to store data.

I like music, own lots of CD's and don't like the idea of paying $1 per song.

I have used the internet for years, surfing it but am not a computer geek so I need things simple.

Is there anywhere I can copy songs and store them on my Motorola Droid phone so I can just listen to the music without the screen being on and get these songs for free? I listen mostly to Classic Rock and Roll, 60's rock and pop...

Thanks in advance.

Guurzak

Reaction score
Option one: rip your cd collection to mp3s and copy to your phone.

Option two: go to the market and install Pandora and/or Slacker. These will act as personal "radio" stations, streaming audio to your phone based on categories you define.

Option three (technically illegal): use iMusic or similar programs to find and download mp3 files from the web.

thenowherekid

Reaction score
Pandora is awesome and legal. You just type in a song or an artist that you like and it plays similar music. Can't beat that.

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Option one: rip your cd collection to mp3s and copy to your phone.

Option two: go to the market and install Pandora and/or Slacker. These will act as personal "radio" stations, streaming audio to your phone based on categories you define.

Option three (technically illegal): use iMusic or similar programs to find and download mp3 files from the web.

How do I rip songs on a cd to mp3 and copy them to my phone? Do I need a computer to do that since I don't own one?

I listen to Pandora, but it only plays what it wants to play. I cannot allow another person to listen to one specific song or I can't listen to a specific song.

Does this third option sound the best for me? Where do I get iMusic and how do I find the mp3 files on the web?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's some background info.

I do not own a desktop or laptop computer. I can use the local library if I need to but only for internet surfing. No place to store data.

I like music, own lots of CD's and don't like the idea of paying $1 per song.

I have used the internet for years, surfing it but am not a computer geek so I need things simple.

Is there anywhere I can copy songs and store them on my Motorola Droid phone so I can just listen to the music without the screen being on and get these songs for free? I listen mostly to Classic Rock and Roll, 60's rock and pop...

Thanks in advance.

Tip - If you go on line to Amazon.com and check out there mp3 section you will find many complete albums of music that run from 8 -10 dollars and have 15 tunes or so on them. You can download to a program like iTunes and store them on your computer that way. Then I would download a program on your computer called Double Twist to import from iTunes to your Droid. Double Twist and iTunes are both free.

Droidfish

Reaction score
iMusic is a free app in the market. It does all the leg work for you so all you have to do is search and more times than not you will find what you're looking for. There is also an app called musicjunk that does the same thing.

Anyone who has a burned cd in there collection has technically broke the law. I'll use these apps as long as they're on the market, how long that is I do not know...

Guurzak

Reaction score
You do need a pc to rip your cds. If you can't get a friend to rip your cds or let you come over and use his pc for an evening, you could theoretically go buy a cheap laptop from walmart, do what you need to do, then return it. Or go look in want ads/craigslist, a used pc can be gotten pretty cheap.

If you want to pull mp3s from the web, just go to the market and download iMusic or Music Junk. Then just go into that app and start searching for whatever songs you want to download.

Slider46

Reaction score
"Free" music? Your pretty limited to just streaming radio/Pandora. If you have lots of CDs, i'm sure there is someone you know with a computer with Windows Media Player who wouldn't mind if you ripped your CDs to the PC and then synced your Droid.

Do the computers at the library have a media player? Do you have any internet cafe / coffee shops around with public use computers? Those are also possibilities.

As for the other option...

I'm not going to (nor should anyone else) post on how to illegally obtain music files via the internet.

Amazon's MP3 Downloader has full albums for around $8 - not all songs are a $1 each.

*Edit

Anyone who has a burned cd in there collection has technically broke the law. I'll use these apps as long as they're on the market, how long that is I do not know...

Not 100% true. Most EULA and/or copyright laws state that the owner of the copy (CD, software, whatever) are allowed to have a second or third copy for personal/backup use. However, those that go and burn 20 CDs for 20 of their friends are breaking the law.

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
"Free" music? Your pretty limited to just streaming radio/Pandora. If you have lots of CDs, i'm sure there is someone you know with a computer with Windows Media Player who wouldn't mind if you ripped your CDs to the PC and then synced your Droid.

Do the computers at the library have a media player? Do you have any internet cafe / coffee shops around with public use computers? Those are also possibilities.

I'm not going to (nor should anyone else) post on how to illegally obtain music files via the internet.

I don't know anyone that I would want to impose my time on them to borrow their laptop.

I think I can listen to cd's at the library. There are internet cafes that have wifi or have computers. Doesn't this process take a lot of time? I really just want to grab a few songs off the internet.

Is the process of obtaining music files on the internet commonly done? Was Napster this type of site? I'm assuming they were sued into submission. Did other sites pop up and still active? I'm old school from the days of records so forgive my ignorance.

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
You do need a pc to rip your cds. If you can't get a friend to rip your cds or let you come over and use his pc for an evening, you could theoretically go buy a cheap laptop from walmart, do what you need to do, then return it. Or go look in want ads/craigslist, a used pc can be gotten pretty cheap.

If you want to pull mp3s from the web, just go to the market and download iMusic or Music Junk. Then just go into that app and start searching for whatever songs you want to download.

So I go the the Market place on my phone, download iMusic or Music Junk (is this free, cost...?) Any suggestions which one is better for my needs?

Is music commonly being shared on the internet?

Can I copy music to my phone that I hear on YouTube?

Droidfish

Reaction score

Amazon's MP3 Downloader has full albums for around $8 - not all songs are a $1 each.

*Edit

Not 100% true. Most EULA and/or copyright laws state that the owner of the copy (CD, software, whatever) are allowed to have a second or third copy for personal/backup use. However, those that go and burn 20 CDs for 20 of their friends are breaking the law.

I know, I really wasn't referring to backing up purchases.

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, the op referred to free music so I addressed an app that's in the market designed specifically for android phones. All the emulator apps do something very similar on the morality front in that you technically should not run roms that you didn't purchase. The emulators usually don't give you a direct link to the roms like imusic or music junk but they essentially do the same thing.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread and sorry if it came across that I am promoting stealing or breaking the law.

Slider46

Reaction score
I think I can listen to cd's at the library. There are internet cafes that have wifi or have computers. Doesn't this process take a lot of time? I really just want to grab a few songs off the internet.

A 12-song album might take 2-3 minutes to rip depending on the computer being used. After that its simple copy/paste into a folder called "Music" on your Droid's sdcard.

Is the process of obtaining music files on the internet commonly done? Was Napster this type of site? I'm assuming they were sued into submission. Did other sites pop up and still active? I'm old school from the days of records so forgive my ignorance.

Filesharing (which I assume is what some of these apps do) is a gray area when it comes to legality. Technically - I believe the sharing of files over a Peer-to-Peer connection is legal but the files being shared (music in this case) is copyright protected and therefore illegal. But, like anything else, people will still do if if theres a low enough probability that they will get caught.

Responses are bolded :)

OP
A

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
I just read Napster, 1999-2001, on Wikipedia. Looks like they were sued out of business for illegal file sharing.

Is the way it works, if one company closes due to a lawsuit, another company pops up doing the same thing, just a different name and this process keeps repeating itself...?

My personal opinion is that $1 or $8 for an album is way too much for a song. I was hoping music would be free or like a penney per song. Something affordable.

Here is the Wikipedia link re Napster: Napster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

droidilac

Reaction score

So I go the the Market place on my phone, download iMusic or Music Junk (is this free, cost...?) Any suggestions which one is better for my needs?

Is music commonly being shared on the internet?

Can I copy music to my phone that I hear on YouTube?

Yes Music is being commonly being shared on the internet...... Doesn't mean its legal though.

Simplify your life.... Like somebody else said go on Craigslist or Wal-Mart, (Costco also has the greatest return policy in the world LMAO).... How much did you pay for your Droid? I am sure you can find a good used computer on craigslist for around the same price.

Some of these questions almost seem to interrogative.... Almost like you are looking for somebody to say, "YES!!!!! look at me I do steal music from the internet!!!!!!" If they do to each their own LoL....

About imusic and and those apps... Do a quick search in the market for them. It does say FREE or it does have a price. It took you just as long to ask the question as it would have taken you to search the market.

GOOD LUCK with your quest!!!!!!!!