When uninstalling app...setup package file(.apk)

James_Watson

Reaction score
As I know, when we install an app, the setup package file(.apk) will copy to a folder of our devices, \data\app.
I am wondering:
1.Is the corresponding apk file still in that folder or any other folders after some app has been uninstalled?
2.Is some app eligible to enumerate and read all these apk files?
Thanks in advance.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Once you uninstall an apk, it is usually deleted from the \data\app folder. The only thing that sometimes remains is the library files \data\app-lib and the Cache files (Don't remember the location, SORRY!) But if you Sideloaded the APK, It will make a copy of it to the \data\app folder.
Hope this answers your question!

P.S. This would also apply to system apps...once they are deleted..there GONE!

Reactions: CJM

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Once you uninstall an apk, it is usually deleted from the \data\app folder. The only thing that sometimes remains is the library files \data\app-lib and the Cache files (Don't remember the location, SORRY!) But if you Sideloaded the APK, It will make a copy of it to the \data\app folder.
Hope this answers your question!

P.S. This would also apply to system apps...once they are deleted..there GONE!
I don't doubt you're right, so if that's true how does AppMonster create the APK backups?

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It does apps that were uninstalled thru the installer or play store??

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No, what I mean is it will create full backups of all your installed apps and they're simple APKs.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes...the OP was asking about uninstalling an app...then trying to find the apk? Like I think he acidentally uninstalled an apk that was needed and he doesn't have a backup

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
But installed apps can of course get backed up! the data is still there!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Right. I was saying that it must be able to find the original APK to create the backups so it seemed to be reasonable that the original APK was stored in the memory somewhere.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If you are rooted and either delete the apk from the system\app folder...it uninstalls and deletes everything that goes with it...I have never found the apk in two locations??!!?? Did that make sense??

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well yes, but my understanding of the APK is that it's an app installer container which, similar to a zip file or in Windows a .cab (cabinet file), contains all the necessary installation files in one consolidated and often compressed format. Then those installation files are extracted from the container file and then installed in their final locations.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes @FoxKat! That is exactly how it works!! I have actually seen inside an .apk file and it contains the Layout, images, and library files it needs to operate. BUT, when you go in to play store, Package Installer, or Delete the APK, the system will delete ALL the data associated with that APP. the DATA folders are deleted...and the Library files as well. The only way i know of is to Backup BEFORE you uninstall. Otherwise...you need to find the exact APK again, and Install it, then create your Backup!

BUT....i am gonna load this AppMonster and give it a go!! :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Not all data is deleted. Many apps leave things behind. ES File Explorer prompts me after any uninstalls that folders are left behind. It asks me if I want to delete those as well.

Not all apps do this, but some do. I haven't been able to find a common denominator between those that do and those that don't. But yes, the apk itself is wiped.

Reactions: cr6