When to restore

sidsub

Reaction score
I rooted and used titanium backup to freeze and backup several services I didn't need. While there are lots of threads here on what is ok to freeze, I haven't yet seen anything on when to restore. I gather it has to do with software upgrades and this may be my ignorance on how the software upgrade process works on these phones.

When do I know I need an upgrade and must restore my files? Does VZW warn you or bug you to upgrade? Do I control the process, or do they send you an upgrade without your knowledge?

Thanks

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Genetics

Reaction score
You will here about the update here and on the web before they are pushed out by verizon. They can be an auto update where you will get notified or they can be manual updates where you check on the phone manually.

As far as bloat all stock moto apps are required. If you look at the bloat script thread he has all the necessary apps in that script.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score
If you have frozen apps, your phone will give you an error when you check for updates (Settings -> About phone -> System updates). Then you unfreeze your bloatware, check again, download/install your update, and re-freeze stuff. I just did it the other day to get the 2.4.330 update.

silver6054

Reaction score
If you have frozen apps, your phone will give you an error when you check for updates (Settings -> About phone -> System updates). Then you unfreeze your bloatware, check again, download/install your update, and re-freeze stuff. I just did it the other day to get the 2.4.330 update.

This must depend on exactly what you have frozen. I have a lot of bloatware frozen, but the check for updates works fine. However, the *install* will fail unless you unfreeze most of the apps.