What's your favorite rom on the Droid 3? And why?

KidCuda

Reaction score
Stock rooted. I like Liberty the best, and I've tried out most of the other ones, but there's always ONE thing that bothers me in the custom roms that makes me miss Moto's software. (I fully intend to buy the Nexus btw, so I'm a full supporter of the AOSP feel.)

OP
anthony_rada

anthony_rada

Reaction score
Has the nexus release day been confirmed? Last time I checked they had it down for nov.17 and verizon already has begun ICS training for what I hear.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

aggiechase37

Reaction score
I'm using steel droid and I'm pretty satisfied with that. Battery seems to be slightly less than stock. But it still more than gets me through the day. I am also eagerly awaiting the galaxy nexus. So tired of the criminal camera that motorola has provided. I'm wondering how much I'm going to miss this week keyboard though...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

yahyaisrael

Reaction score
As of right now I'm liking Liberty ROM. Just installed it, had Steel Droid. I want to try CM9 when it is released. I hear allot about CynogenMOD, sound like something I would like to try. I like to easy change the Home Launcher I have been running SPC 3D Shell and runs nice on smooth on my Liberty ROM. Also like the custom setting that is in Liberty. Steel Droid did not have this.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I run my own version of the stock rom. Debloated obviously plus TONS of other tweeks to the system and framework. Rom toolbox pro takes a lot of credit for this.

AOSP does NOT run very well on the D3 compared to stock blur, since in this version of blur it is optimized for the phone.. The new blur has grown on me, has much more functionality than a stock AOSP rom. Before I was all about AOSP CM builds but they just seem 'bland' compared to what is already there stock. Only positive about a aosp build IMO is that it has black menus instead of white, but that can be changed in the framework.

bharrismac

Reaction score
I'm loving liberty rom. The standard theme is gorgeous and the keyboard is somehow thousands of time better than standard aosp. Its also stable, fast, and not too bad on battery. Ive been using it as a daily driver since they fixed the wifi tethering.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
MavRom 2.0. Plus it has a really cool ICS theme. :happy3:

Gemedet

Reaction score
Right now I'm running
[h=2][SELFKANG ICS AOSP ROM] CM9/ICS for Droid 3[/h]and it is sweet! Apparently it's still in stage 2 of alpha but I'm literally seeing a super stable ROM here. Literally the only crashes I get are occasionally from the launcher and I have not had one reboot.

alowbman

Reaction score
I have tried several and by far my favorite is Maverick. Great battery life/no force closes/everything seems to work.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
All the ROM's are necessary, and all good in their own right. It is a shame that the device does not come stock with something like the Maverick 3.0 ROM, with even less bloat. The D3 is a really capable device, and with the stock software was a constant source of frustration. I tried the VZ support route and after many hours of support calls and frustration still had a device which rebooted multiple times per day, crashed constantly and needed a charge by midday. With the Mav Rom's and some de-bloating, I easily get a full day per charge and no reboots or FC's. Actually been up for 7 days straight on MAV v3, a record for me with this device.

Even using the camera does not crash Android! (it is a shame this is a big deal). I used to recommend Android all the time, but after my D3 experience I will only recommend Android to semi-technical people willing to root and fix the issues themselves. Most users are better off with a closed device like Windows Phone or Apple, if they are not willing to get a stock android device like a nexus. (which I understand has bloatware installed as well).

I don't see why VZ/Moto would not just recommend app's in the market, seems like it would be a better approach and actually reduce service issues. The manufacturers could distinguish themselves with add-on options like launchers and widgets and hardware specific software (camera's keyboard, audio) - while building the devices optimized for AOSP code for basic functions (like dialer, gmail, browser).

Mav v3 is clean and close to stock, and has some great themes which are all visually interesting. I highly recommend Mav v3.