What's the best Navigation App?

scottocs

Reaction score
My GPS and iPod were stolen from my car recently and I had a Navigon 7200T GPS which was amazing to me.

Now I'm trying to find out which navigation app is the best and for what reasons?

Please provide as much info as you can with your post, thanks!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Google Maps.

If for some reason you don't like it MapQuest has a decent app on the market.

Both provide free turn by turns voice direction.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

srvctec

Reaction score
Google Maps because it's accurate. If you find an inaccuracy on any of the maps, contact Google right through the app and they will change it- I've done this a couple of times already. With that kind of developer/user interaction, it's bound to be one of the most accurate navigation systems there is.

Sent from my stock DROID X2

PatrickJ

Reaction score
Google maps is the best, it's also better than any GPS unit. The only knock or change I wish they'd make is to allow the storage of maps on the phone. Maybe you can do that already?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Navigon is the best because it uses the same database that Garmin uses and it stores the maps on your phone's sdcard. Please note that you will see a lot of really negative comments in the market about this app. They are there because the app did not work right when Ginger Bread first came out. It took them a while to get it compatible and release an update. That was aggravating, but it's fixed now and is back to working great on my Droid Bionic. I considered this app so good that when I put some of the GB roms on my Droid 1 and found that Navigon would not work, I went back to a froyo rom so I could use Navigon.

Good luck.

Natey2

Reaction score
Any chance Navigon ($40?) will become the FAOTD on Amazon? :)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk from GetJar

Natey2

Reaction score
Dedicated GPS unit, e.g.Magellan RoadMate:
Sexier voice.
Easier user interface for many people.
Auto re-route based on traffic conditions (some models).
Larger screen.
Better GPS hardware(?)
Your geo-location info is not subject to data-mining/collection/monitoring.
Dedicated GPS unit frees up your phone for other things.
Longer battery life(?)
Maps stored on device, so navigation is not dependent on availability of data connection.
Cheaper to replace if it falls off your car dashboard and the screen breaks :^)

Google Navigation app:
Still in Beta(?)
Free (if you have a unlimited data plan).
More frequent map/app updates
Can cause phone to lock up or reboot during navigation.
Superior website interface (Google) to manage saved locations, print, etc.
Can use WiFi and cell tower locations to navigate if GPS satellite is not available.
It is always with me.

REMilk

Reaction score
I use the Navigation that is included as part of Google Maps on the Android. The 'pros' include, free, maps seems to be much more current that 'manufacturer' maps, and for the past 2+ years has worked well for me.

The "cons"; you must start a route with a decent data connection! If you do not have a data connection when setting the route, you cannot get turn-by-turn audio directions. Also, you may need to position the smartphone, such that it does not overheat.

When I upgraded to the Droid 3, I kept my OG Droid. I set it to airplane mode and turned on GPS and WiFi. I installed the 'free' version of the app 'Navigation" by TeleNav. This app does not require a data connection. I have used it around Richmond, VA and it seems to work well. I have not had an opportunity to use it on a trip of any length. Pros, does not require a data connection; cons; maps are not updated as frequently as Google maps.

I recommend using the the Navigation via Google Maps that came with you phone.!

Bob

dAi

Reaction score
Copilot but lately Google navigation

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any chance Navigon ($40?) will become the FAOTD on Amazon? :)

That would be great for the folks that don't have it yet. I do know that they (the Navigon folks) have put it on sale twice since I bought my copy. I think it was about 24 dollars once and maybe 14 the other time?? I paid $39.95 and do not regret it. YMMV!!