What should I do prior to swapping my note?

ngt

Reaction score
Wondering what I should do prior to swapping my note 7. I read about some app to download that makes transferring stuff easier. Don't want to lose my contacts again. Should I just move everything to my sd card? Do I wipe the phone somehow? Should I keep my SIM card? Anything I should know or do before swapping? Thanks! Still waiting on my email from best buy :(

juggjiggler69

Reaction score
Wondering what I should do prior to swapping my note 7. I read about some app to download that makes transferring stuff easier. Don't want to lose my contacts again. Should I just move everything to my sd card? Do I wipe the phone somehow? Should I keep my SIM card? Anything I should know or do before swapping? Thanks! Still waiting on my email from best buy :(
First of all when you add a contact store them as a google contact then u will never lose them on any android phone,and wen you get your new one go into settings and search smart switch and it will tell you how to do it

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
How do I make them all Google contacts at once? I could only make a vCard on my sd card.

juggjiggler69

Reaction score
How do I make them all Google contacts at once? I could only make a vCard on my sd card.
I think you have to go in and edit them and look for link contact under settings once ur in the contacts but im not really sure

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm transferring anything i can to the sd card, which isn't much since the phone is fairly new. I'll do the Google thing one at a time today at lunch

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Settings/Accounts/Google, then select your account & make sure Contacts is on. You can then check to see if all your contacts are saved by going here https://contacts.google.com/preview/all

Can't get it to work. It says I need to go to old contacts and when I go to upload a vCard, it doesn't give me the option to choose a vcard. Only images and video.

Oh well, I hope the new phone let's me get the vCard off of my sd card

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
What was done when I got my phone swapped was Samsung's smart switch. Plug new phone into old phone with the supplied adapter and let it do it's thing. Took a little while to finish but theres a point where you can unplug and it'll finish from there. Doesnt take too long to get to thw unplug point. But once done my new phone was setup exactly like my old, just needed to log back into a couple apps and done.

ticketbabe

Reaction score
Smart Switch moves everything quite well. You will have to sign into everything again, starting with Google. I made sure to sign out of all accounts before resetting former phone. Also make sure they switch your SDcard to new phone. Don't forget to take all accessories back..youll get the new set.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Smart Switch moves everything quite well. You will have to sign into everything again, starting with Google. I made sure to sign out of all accounts before resetting former phone. Also make sure they switch your SDcard to new phone. Don't forget to take all accessories back..youll get the new set.

Yes, I can't express strongly enough that you must sign out of all accounts on your phone before doing the reset, most important the Google account. Of course don't forget your Google account password.

I believe (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong), if you don't sign out of Google before reseting, you will trigger "Factory Reset Protection" on that phone and then the next person who gets that phone will be unable to register and sign into that phone.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

ticketbabe

Reaction score
I can at least tell you that when I reset my Note 3 & gifted to my daughter...my contacts popped back up, mixed in with hers. Very weird. Don't want a stranger having any of your info, so def sign out of everything before reset.