What Lollipop feature presses your buttons most?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
As you may know, Android L (5.0) is officially called Lollipop. This is the change log. So what new feature will be a hit for YOU?

• Material Design
    A bold, colorful, and responsive UI design for consistent, intuitive experiences across all your devices
    • Responsive, natural motion, realistic lighting and shadows, and familiar visual elements make it easier to navigate your device
    • Vivid new colors, typography, and edge-to-edge imagery help to focus your attention
  • Notifications
    New ways to control when and how you receive messages - only get interrupted when you want to be
    • View and respond to messages directly from your lock screen. Includes the ability to hide sensitive content for these notifications
    • For fewer disruptions, turn on Priority mode via your device’s volume button so only certain people and notifications get through. Or schedule recurring downtime like 10pm to 8am when only Priority notifications can get through
    • With Lollipop, incoming phone calls won’t interrupt what you’re watching or playing. You can choose to answer the call or just keep doing what you’re doing
    • Control the notifications triggered by your apps; hide sensitive content and prioritize or turn off the app’s notifications entirely
    • More intelligent ranking of notifications based on who they’re from and the type of communication. See all your notifications in one place by tapping the top of the screen
  • Battery
    Power for the long haul
    • A battery saver feature which extends device use by up to 90 mins
    • Estimated time left to fully charge is displayed when your device is plugged in
    • Estimated time left on your device before you need to charge again can now be found in battery settings
  • Security
    Keep your stuff safe and sound
    • New devices come with encryption automatically turned on to help protect data on lost or stolen devices
    • SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware
    • Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car
  • Device Sharing
    More flexible sharing with family and friends
    • Multiple users for phones. If you forget your phone, you still can call any of your friends (or access any of your messages, photos etc.) by simply logging into another Android phone running Lollipop. Also perfect for families who want to share a phone, but not their stuff
    • Guest user for phones and tablets means you can lend your device and not your stuff
    • Screen pinning: pin your screen so another user can access just that content without messing with your other stuff
  • New Quick Settings
    Get to the most frequently used settings with just two swipes down from the top of the screen
    • New handy controls like flashlight, hotspot, screen rotation and cast screen controls
    • Easier on/off toggles for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and location
    • Manually adjust your brightness for certain conditions. Then, adaptive brightness will kick in based on ambient lighting
  • Connectivity
    A better internet connection everywhere and more powerful Bluetooth low energy capabilities
    • Improved network handoffs resulting in limited interruption in connectivity. For example, continue your video chat or VoIP calls without interruption as you leave the house and switch from your home Wi-Fi back to cellular
    • Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi
    • Power-efficient scanning for nearby Bluetooth low energy (“BLE”) devices like wearables or beacons
    • New BLE peripheral mode
  • Runtime and Performance
    A faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience
    • ART, an entirely new Android runtime, improves application performance and responsiveness
      • Up to 4x performance improvements
      • Smoother UI for complex, visually rich applications
      • Compacting backgrounded apps and services so you can do more at once
    • Support for 64 bit devices, like the Nexus 9, brings desktop class CPUs to Android
      • Support for 64-bit SoCs using ARM, x86, and MIPS-based cores
      • Shipping 64-bit native apps like Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, Google Play Music, and more
      • Pure Java language apps run as 64-bit apps automatically
    Android 5,0

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think I'll like the new notifications the most. They'll be there, but nowhere near as intrusive, especially phone calls.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'll like the new notifications the most. They'll be there, but nowhere near as intrusive, especially phone calls.
I've already got that on my G2. A call comes in,a tiny box shows at the top of the screen with small caller id,a answer and a decline option. Answer answers call and phone screen takes over but returns to previous screen upon ending the call but tap the decline and the call goes to voicemail , the small icon disappears and everything resumes as was.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

pchain

Reaction score
It is certainly great to see all of these features, but one thing I don't care for is all the bright white screens in material design....

Reactions: cr6

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've already got that on my G2. A call comes in,a tiny box shows at the top of the screen with small caller id,a answer and a decline option. Answer answers call and phone screen takes over but returns to previous screen upon ending the call but tap the decline and the call goes to voicemail , the small icon disappears and everything resumes as was.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Sounds like a handy feature. But you'll never catch me using an LG device or LG anything. Too many bad experiences I've had with that company.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It is certainly great to see all of these features, but one thing I don't care for is all the bright white screens in material design....
I agree. I won't be in any hurry to take this update as my S5 currently has many of these features stock, or through third party apps. The bright white on notifications is a big disappointment. It's currently black....hopefully they'll give you the option to keep black or choose the background color.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The bright white Material design is the worst thing possible for Amoleds
I'm not digging the neon in it either. Even Touchwiz is heading that route :/

IsixedThat

pchain

Reaction score
The white backgrounds and bright colors of material design unfortunately remind me of IOS and Metro combined. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. I also hope they offer an alternative to the bright theme, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I won't ever see it except within GAPPS so unless Samung goes even lighter than their TW on the GS5/Note 4 it will never be an issue for me.

I am still awaiting a jailbreak for the i6 so I can get rid of Jony's train wreck.

IsixedThat

Inspector Gadget

Reaction score
I have to agree. The operational enhancements are enticing but I hate the color scheme of material design. It's like I've gone through a time warp and I'm back in the 90s with a bunch of post it notes stuck to my desk and schedule board. If ever there was a good reason for a different ROM this is it.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I got to try out Lollipop on my N7 for like...a day before it just went crazy on me. Notifications were by leaps and bounds just amazing upgrade for me. Although it does have an 'Apple-y' feel to it, they do set themselves apart with the info that does display. Talking about all this makes me wish FedEx didn't delay me getting my tablet till tomorrow :mad: