What is the difference between Auto-Sync and APN?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I am trying to adjust some settings for battery longevity and came across these settings. I know turning auto-sync off will prevent emails from being pushed to my phone, but what will turning off APN do?

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I believe APN is mobile data or what many refer to as 3g. Auto-sync is fetching your mail, etc. automatically. With auto sync turned off you have to manually get your Facebook, mail, Twitter updates and notifications.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
OK - so by turning off APN, what exactly will it disable? Sorry for such a n00bish question; just can't seem to get my head around is this morning :confused:

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK - so by turning off APN, what exactly will it disable? Sorry for such a n00bish question; just can't seem to get my head around is this morning :confused:

Everything except push notifications, so you will still get sms, gmail, phone calls. This is prety much what juice defender does...with options. you should check it out.

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Thanks for all the info guys! I think I got it now.

@ tallica - I did check out juice defender but a lot of the customization is not available in the free version. I don't mind paying for apps, I just wish there was a full trial version out there so I can test out the ALL the settings prior to purchasing?

@ hookbill - thanks for the link; I was on it earlier and I think it just got me more confused :tongue: Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, I am a bit slow this morning LOL

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys! I think I got it now.

@ tallica - I did check out juice defender but a lot of the customization is not available in the free version. I don't mind paying for apps, I just wish there was a full trial version out there so I can test out the ALL the settings prior to purchasing?

@ hookbill - thanks for the link; I was on it earlier and I think it just got me more confused :tongue: Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, I am a bit slow this morning LOL

No prob. I use the free version and it works great for me. Disables the apn when screen is off but checks for data for 1min every 15, so 15 min is the longest delay I would get from poll notifications.

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
OK - so after fully charing my phone I disabled auto sync and turned off APN. Screen brightness is all the way down and phone has barely been used. Also, I have profiles set in SetCPU and after 2h 24m I am down to 80% which isn't bad, but not really noticing any difference playing with these additional settings ...