What is different with MIUI?

The Albatross

Reaction score
Compared to stock and various other ROMs, what is it that makes MIUI different? I've watched videos on youtube and other than the lockscreens, the lack of the app drawer, and toggles in the pulldown notification, I don't see any differences. And since all of those things can be accomplished with various widgets, why use MIUI?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried it 'cause it's new, frankly, and wanted to see what it was all about. I'm still running it as it appears to have better battery life overall than CM4D2, and so far is running very smoothly and meeting my needs.

It has some lock screen options (various designs that allow you to open into a specific app/activity, see message counts, etc.) built in and nicely integrated into the stock ROM (I own and have tried Widgetlocker on GB ROMs and CM, and never liked that app very much).

Theming is very easy (somewhat similar to CM in this case) and built into the ROM as well, and you can download and preview themes directly from within the theme settings, and you can modify individual parts of a theme (lockscreen from one, icons from another).

You can hold the Home button on the lock screen to enable the torch, for the simplest and easiest to use flashlight option I've used yet on a locked phone.

There are some settings in MIUI that aren't in CM, but I'm blanking on what they are right now. :)

I haven't put a ton of effort into comparing the two ROMs, but that's a quick, short list.

Here's a list of 17 MIUI tips...

http://maketecheasier.com/17-hidden-tips-and-tricks-for-miui/2011/05/15

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Compared to stock and various other ROMs, what is it that makes MIUI different? I've watched videos on youtube and other than the lockscreens, the lack of the app drawer, and toggles in the pulldown notification, I don't see any differences. And since all of those things can be accomplished with various widgets, why use MIUI?

Bc Miui is really amazing, a bit laggy (use supercharger script ^_^, and kinda bad at battery life

[ ] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[X] Motorola Xoom: Stock Root 3.2
Tapatalk

OP
T

The Albatross

Reaction score

Bc Miui is really amazing, a bit laggy (use supercharger script ^_^, and kinda bad at battery life

Tapatalk

This has nothing to do with what I posted.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score

Tapatalk

This has nothing to do with what I posted.

Lol I kinda answered ur question

Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The difference with MIUI is its a totally rewritten ROM. All those widgets you say you can use only came out because of MIUI. The menus are vastly different, the level of customization is really unrivaled in any other ROM. It has a very different feel than anything else out. Seeing videos is fine but you have to try it for yourself. It's a breath of fresh air for your phone.

end of line...

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
It is an amazing rom and I don't think you can really understand until you flash it for yourself. It is completely different than any other rom is all I can say. Take the dive!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jchammer123

Reaction score
The difference with MIUI is its a totally rewritten ROM. All those widgets you say you can use only came out because of MIUI. The menus are vastly different, the level of customization is really unrivaled in any other ROM. It has a very different feel than anything else out. Seeing videos is fine but you have to try it for yourself. It's a breath of fresh air for your phone.

end of line...

Very well put!!!

rd757

Reaction score
I'm lovin' MIUI. This is my first ROM and I can't say enough good things about it. The UI is very intuitive easy to use... it looks good and is blazing fast. It's like the awesome user interface of iOS met up with the freedom of Android and had MIUI. :iphone::heart::motdroidhoriz: = :icon_ banana: (<--MIUI, lol)

rehabray

Reaction score
Miui was the first rom I flashed on my d1 and since then I've tried others but always come right back to miui. The only way to really compare miui is to flash it and run it for a little while. I personally use the peter Alfonzo( I think that's spelled right) kernel 250-1100mhz. It seems to run smoother than the stock miui kernel. Flash it you'll love it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think miui is the only rom I haven't flashed yet...is it froyo? And how stable is it as far as calls, camera etc? Everything work well?

rd757

Reaction score
I think miui is the only rom I haven't flashed yet...is it froyo? And how stable is it as far as calls, camera etc? Everything work well?

I haven't had any trouble with calls, texting, etc. They are clear, connect well and haven't dropped one yet. Camera works well and one of my buddies using MIUI says it takes better pics now (which seems like that'd be related to hardware, not a rom, but we'll see).

I'm coming up on the end of the first 24hrs I've had it installed and so far I'm very pleased with it!

rd757

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll flash it tonight and check it out

Best of luck man! It took about 3hrs to get it all going, but this is the first time I've put a custom rom on it... so depending on your skill level, it shouldn't be bad. It's all pretty straight forward. :) Let us know what you think of it!!

jchammer123

Reaction score
The nice thing is, once you flash miui the first time and get it setup, its extremely easy to update with the built in backup. The new updates take me about 20 minutes to set up , and most of that time is waiting for the restore to finish. Enjoy! Its an excellent rom!