what is a factory reset?

turbodave

Reaction score
As the title says, what is a factory reset? How do I accomplish it, and most importantly will I loose anything on the phone by doing so?????

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It restores the phone back to original factory settings...but with the current OS. All Play Store apps, files, music, settings, etc. on the internal storage will be erased. All pre loaded apps will revert to their original version and will need to he updated again. It will not affect any files in the SDCard. You can perform one from All Settings > Backup & Restore or from the Recovery Menu. You would want to backup all files, texts, pics, etc. that are on internal storage to a PC, SD card or cloud storage. It can take a while to set everything up again, but its like a fresh new phone. Hope that helps.

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
Thanks, but it sounds far more troublesome and complex and not something I would want to tackle. Especially with the pix and specialized apps I have installed.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
What was the reason for the original question? Just out of curiosity.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
Well, I keep hearing recommendations for some people to do so, if they're suffering unusual problems. Lately I've had some interesting little glitches pop up and extremely random times, for example, on one occasion while ending a call, I took the phone away from my ear, and the screen stayed black so I couldn't see the hankup button to push, and pressing the wakeup/power button didn't restore the screen either.
Random little things like that.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I assume you upgraded to KitKat recently. Its those kind of naggy issues that can come with a new OS that folks recommend a FDR to help clear up. I made a checklist a long time ago with all important phone settings that I like and all apps. What their passwords are and where important data is backed up at. My Contacts are synced to my G Mail account so they instantly re-sync. After doing it a few times I have the whole process down to about an hour...and my phone is almost like new again. Just things to consider.

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
I assume you upgraded to KitKat recently. Its those kind of naggy issues that can come with a new OS that folks recommend a FDR to help clear up. I made a checklist a long time ago with all important phone settings that I like and all apps. What their passwords are and where important data is backed up at. My Contacts are synced to my G Mail account so they instantly re-sync. After doing it a few times I have the whole process down to about an hour...and my phone is almost like new again. Just things to consider.

If you're located near Knoxville, maybe I should hire you to do mine!