What happened to the original stock News & Weather App from my Droid I?

MrTommy

Reaction score
I think I've seen this posted elsewhere, but maybe some new eyes will see it. I just upgraded from my old Droid I to the Maxx. One of my fave Apps on the old phone was the news and weather app that I could customize and get news I wanted, plus weather wherever I was.

I can still use it on my old Droid if I have a WiFi connection, but I'm not in the mood to carry two 'units' around just to read the news I want. Is there a way I can 'slide' it off my old machine onto my new Maxx?

Or, am I as I suspect, screwed???? :mad:

OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Uh, hate to sound ignorant, but...

Thanks for the link, subsynth. I scurried over there and downloaded it onto my computer. Read where folks really like this app. But, my question is, where do I put it on my Razr, and how do I make it run? I know - duh - but I'm just not sure where to install it.

I hooked the phone up to my computer and pulled up all the folders, but nosing around in all of them just didn't wave a sign at me saying "In here, Pal!"

Any suggestions? Thanks. :hail:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for the link, subsynth. I scurried over there and downloaded it onto my computer. Read where folks really like this app. But, my question is, where do I put it on my Razr, and how do I make it run? I know - duh - but I'm just not sure where to install it.

I hooked the phone up to my computer and pulled up all the folders, but nosing around in all of them just didn't wave a sign at me saying "In here, Pal!"

Any suggestions? Thanks. :hail:

Simply store on the SD Card, install, and run. You can also install it as a widget.

Even easier is to simply click the link on your phone and download and install directly like I just did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
MrTommy

MrTommy

Reaction score
Wow!!!!!

thank you FoxCat & subsynth!!!!!

We just installed it - AND WE'RE IN HEAVEN!! :icon_ lala:

THIS is a News and Weather app that makes sense. Wonder why they didn't include it in the latest 'phones'...

Again, thanks you guys!:biggrin:

Natey2

Reaction score
One of my fave Apps on the old phone was the news and weather app that I could customize and get news I wanted, plus weather wherever I was.

+1 for Genie (aka "News and Weather" app on many Moto phones)!

Closest thing to it is Pulse.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dhinged

Reaction score
Why did Google remove the News & Weather app from Android?

I used this app every day. Why did Google remove it?

newtotherazrmaxx

Reaction score
original stock news and weather app

so when i slide my phone into the docking station and select dock mode on the top left is the weather i tap on that and the original weather screen comes up that use to be a widget but its not anymore, is that the weather and news app your talking about if it is i want it as a widget again and cant find it

dhinged

Reaction score
I have the Google Genie News & Weather app from most versions of Android since Froyo, send me a private message to remind me to post them when I have more time.

Also there's an app that does the same thing but better named "News & Weather (beta)" by Awnry Software, though I think it's a free limited version, and I paid $5 to unlock all the features, but it at least remembers the tab I'm on and has some other little options; I'm not sure it's worth that price but it definitely runs faster and is more user-friendly than the old and new versions of Google's news app.