what happened to 3d phones?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A year ago we had a discussion about if it would catch fire and many felt it was not a good idea. I personally said it was a gimmick and expected more oems to follow through. Boy was I wrong. The reality I think is the technology didnt have enough devices that could take advantage of the software. Htc took a gamble trying to jump out in front of the 3d race expecting it to jump off with the tvs and computers. The reality is 3d tvs are not selling, people would rather spend the extra money to get a larger tv or a smart tv. The 3d phone has been relegated to non-contract carriers and htc took a loss on that idea. What has taken off is the ability to see more of the background/area, with features like panoramic and sphere (circle) camera we are able to see more and you can still view it on any computer, laptop, phone, tablet.

So what other gimmicks that oems put out the past few years that was one and done?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
3d was a gimmick years ago and it's a gimmick now. Alot of TVs come 3d ready, but what's the point when you gotta pay upwards of $60 for a pair of 3d glasses?

The only thing that 3d has going is the Nintendo 3ds, and even that is a gimmick and not "true 3d".

RhodBerth

Reaction score
I specially registered to answer to this thread!
I am the owner of a 3D phone: the Optimus 3D of LG. It's a bit of a dated phone, but good enough.
The 3D is really awesome, especially the camera! (nobody is going to watch 3D movies on a small screen, but the screen serves very well to review your self-shot 3D movies and pictures).

Private 3D photo's and movies are really a great addition!
Seeing private moments, your kids, your vacation, in 3D, especially on a big 3D TV screen just increases the 'snapshot of your memory'.

I disagree with the former posters, more and more people get 3D TV's.
Especially the LG TV's (passive) are good. They're not too expensive, the glasses are very very cheap (just use your cinema glasses!) and the effect is easy on the eyes and can be experienced in full day light.

I am so very happy with my 3D phone cam, I carry it everywhere and I have made a lot of great pictures (especially) and films (harder to make a good one that's easy to review). I can recommend it to everybody.

Unfortunately very much people are too quickly to denounce 3D as 'gimmick' without really knowing how cool it is to make 3D pics. I am now hoping and waiting for a good new 3D phone, but none yet has been announced :(
I really fear that the 3D haters have destroyed the market.

The real question is: WHY?
It's so easy to have just a 3D cam on your phone. Why would people be against it?
In the beginning people thought that having a cam on your phone was a gimmick as well.

Anyway, my experiences are absolutely positive, and I would buy a good new up-to-date phone with 3D cam immediately till then I'll stick to my O3D.

daniellaws

Reaction score
I specially registered to answer to this thread!
I am the owner of a 3D phone: the Optimus 3D of LG. It's a bit of a dated phone, but good enough.
The 3D is really awesome, especially the camera! (nobody is going to watch 3D movies on a small screen, but the screen serves very well to review your self-shot 3D movies and pictures).

Private 3D photo's and movies are really a great addition!
Seeing private moments, your kids, your vacation, in 3D, especially on a big 3D TV screen just increases the 'snapshot of your memory'.

I disagree with the former posters, more and more people get 3D TV's.
Especially the LG TV's (passive) are good. They're not too expensive, the glasses are very very cheap (just use your cinema glasses!) and the effect is easy on the eyes and can be experienced in full day light.

I am so very happy with my 3D phone cam, I carry it everywhere and I have made a lot of great pictures (especially) and films (harder to make a good one that's easy to review). I can recommend it to everybody.

Unfortunately very much people are too quickly to denounce 3D as 'gimmick' without really knowing how cool it is to make 3D pics. I am now hoping and waiting for a good new 3D phone, but none yet has been announced :(
I really fear that the 3D haters have destroyed the market.

The real question is: WHY?
It's so easy to have just a 3D cam on your phone. Why would people be against it?
In the beginning people thought that having a cam on your phone was a gimmick as well.

Anyway, my experiences are absolutely positive, and I would buy a good new up-to-date phone with 3D cam immediately till then I'll stick to my O3D.

I registered just to agree with you.
First I had the 3d lg and now I have the 3d HTC. I'm not upgrading to a 2d phone and do not buy the its a gimmic rubbish.
My father-in-law worked at a TV store when colour TV came out and he told me they had many returns by people thinking the colour was wrong and a gimmic.
Dear nay sayers, go back to 2d black and white