What ever happened to Google Internet ?

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I remember google making it a big deal Then I jut never heard anything else on it ?

[video=youtube;2GTCq6RdWeY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GTCq6RdWeY[/video]

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
If you're talking about that gigabit broadband service that Google was going to try, I think that's still in the testing stages in Kansas City. I haven't noticed any updates out there as to how its doing though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If you're talking about that gigabit broadband service that Google was going to try, I think that's still in the testing stages in Kansas City. I haven't noticed any updates out there as to how its doing though.

Thanks I did not even know what city they chose to test in I would love those kind of speeds

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Thanks I did not even know what city they chose to test in I would love those kind of speeds

No doubt. I've got Verizon's FiOS here and they do offer one package with some impressive speeds. Nothing like gigabit though. Of course, those high speeds cost a pretty penny. I think my combined TV and internet service bill is still well less than what they charge for the "ludicrous speed" internet service alone.

Also, I work in tech support and the other day I was running a speed test on one of our end users' home internet connection. I don't know what provider she had but it was pulling 42 Mbps down and pushing 27 Mbps up! I was impressed.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Comcast is claiming up to 100Mbps on their newest high-speed package, but I have yet to see it put to the test.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Haha Ludicrous Speed... To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Google was reconsidering becoming an ISP right now... Verizon has everything almost anyone would need, from FiOS to 4G LTE on our phones, to that new home LTE internet service. I mean, 100 mbps is dandy and all, but few people want it, even fewer need it, and fewer still can afford what I'm assuming Google is charging in Kansas City, especially with the economy the way it is. Google took a shot in the dark with Google+ and while I love it, most people are still with Facebook. And now they retain that cocky "I'm invincible" attitude with this internet thing...

Besides that, isn't LTE capable, when Verizon gets around to upgrading it, of 100 down? Maybe not, but I'm just saying, a mobile internet connection with future potential at a decent price point is more appealing to me than what I expect from Google as an ISP. But who knows, they've surprised me before.