What does everyone do for work?

OP
garrett

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As the name states, I am a Professional Mariner. I have been sailing on tugboats since the late 70's. US Merchant Marines. You can see in my line of work why my needing a good wireless provider brought me to VZW so long ago. When working I can be found anywhere between Maine to Texas and points in between. When I am not working, SE Florida is where I call home.

My first Cell phone was an old Motorola Bag Phone. And my first truly portable, as in clip on your belt, was the original Motorola Flip Phone. I have had many cell phones over the years. I like to change them every year or so. I have owned my share of BlackBerrys too. I have also owned many wireless modems as well, since they became available in the early 90's. CDPD modems at a blazing speed of "2400 baud" into the evolution of the EVDO "Rev A" modems we use today.

I am So Looking forward to my new Droid on Friday. With the friggin Keyboard! :biggrin:

I am not as old as that geezer above me, I am only 51 :icon_ lala: I was thinking I was going to be one of only older models here. ;)

How's dat for ya !

nice to see someone else in the field. Id love to work on tugboats all i get to deal with right now are tourists. ehh i cant stand em sometimes but its good money. Ive been contemplating on getting my towing endorsement but keep putting it off.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
nice to see someone else in the field. Id love to work on tugboats all i get to deal with right now are tourists. ehh i cant stand em sometimes but its good money. Ive been contemplating on getting my towing endorsement but keep putting it off.

I do love the job I have, but it is being over regulated by the government. It is also getting harder to to upgrade your license. They are trying to make it so only people who go through a maritime academy will qualify for this job one day. Don't sit on the fence to long about getting your towing endorsement. But if you have a good job, with good pay right now. I'd hang onto it. This economy is not the one to go looking to change trades. Not if you are making good money where you are.

What are you doing now? Yachts? Or Passenger Vessels? PM Me anytime.

OP
garrett

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
both i do private yacht as a captain for hire and 4 days a week i run a 43' cruiser back and forth from Ft Lauderdale and the Bahamas. Money is good but i think i'm gonna go ahead and do the towing endorsement.

i dont think ill change anything anytime soon but i want the endorsement in case anything comes up.

_33

Reaction score
I'm a stone mason, by trade. We do a lot of high end kitchens and baths though. I'm 36 and have the back of a 68 year old. :)

Droid128

Reaction score
Nice to see a lot of different trades out there, as for myself, i'm 25 years old and i'm a security officer for a country club hospital in Mission Viejo, CA. its not permanent but it's a step towards my goal. Eventually I want become a police officer :icon_ devil:

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
both i do private yacht as a captain for hire and 4 days a week i run a 43' cruiser back and forth from Ft Lauderdale and the Bahamas. Money is good but i think i'm gonna go ahead and do the towing endorsement.

i dont think ill change anything anytime soon but i want the endorsement in case anything comes up.

We live close enough, maybe one day we can kick back over a few beverages, and we can discuss the finer points of each others current careers.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Nice to see a lot of different trades out there, as for myself, i'm 25 years old and i'm a security officer for a country club hospital in Mission Viejo, CA. its not permanent but it's a step towards my goal. Eventually I want become a police officer :icon_ devil:

That's the great thing about forums like this. We have a common interest that brings us all together. People normally you would never think you could ever meet on the street. You can meet them all in a place like this.

Keep Going towards your goal !! Never let it out of your sight ! Nice to have you here at DroidForums Too !!!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

We live close enough, maybe one day we can kick back over a few beverages, and we can discuss the finer points of each others current careers.

Maybe me and some work buddies come down and go fishing with you guys. My co-worker usually plans trips out of destin, but he has a place they either rent or partially own on little gasperilla (don't know how to spell it and i'm lazy) island.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G

Maybe me and some work buddies come down and go fishing with you guys. My co-worker usually plans trips out of destin, but he has a place they either rent or partially own on little gasperilla (don't know how to spell it and i'm lazy) island.

Maybe not Lazy, Maybe Beat from what I see in your post count "New" :p

You mean you don't have spell check in this window we type in? How do you think I spell so well. MS WORD !! :icon_ lala:

MrWest45

Reaction score
38 years old and a IT/controls/electrician for small sewer and water utility here. Been doing it for 20 years (Includes 4 years active duty USAF)

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Maybe not Lazy, Maybe Beat from what I see in your post count "New" :p

You mean you don't have spell check in this window we type in? How do you think I spell so well. MS WORD !! :icon_ lala:

hey, you're just jealous. :biggrin: i've only been here like 8 days, we are all new!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not worried about post count, alot of others would be up there too if they started the same time me and sam did. i knew it wouldn't take long before sam caught up and beat me, and i'm sure others will do the same :)

Getaphixx

Reaction score
I'm now in construction.. General Contract right now.. Me and my brother started a construction company focusing on Tile, Flooring & Masonary..

Last edited:

chiianna

Reaction score
I am 32, and Manager of Tech Support at a major museum. (I cover anything that would be at their desks, including telecom and cellular service)

It is interesting to see how many people are tech related. But there is also a good mix of others within the group.