What do you use for Hot Spot

mariomp

Reaction score
I used to use hot spot for my laptop from my DroidX before the update ruined that experiance.:frown:

Now that I'm Gnex, what do you guys use to use your cell to connect laptops to the net?
I'm on stock OS (no root), and because I'm on unlimited data ( and refuse to pay for VZ's hot spot service with it's reduced data plan and additional fee), I'm looking for options.

I would obviously prefer for it to be wireless, but if I have to go the tether route, than so be it.

TIA,
Mario

MrKleen

Reaction score
As I type this I am tethered "wirelessly" to my home desktop because my wifi lost it's signal from downstairs. So I just fire up the Nexus and tether...

It is free, easy, and called "wireless tether for root users". Here is the link to the downloads... http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

T
his in my opinion is the best way to go. And yes you need to be rooted.

Unlocking and rooting your Nexus is very easy and the instructions are everywhere. Let us know if you have any other questions...

Enjoy!

OP
M

mariomp

Reaction score
As I type this I am tethered to my home desktop because my wifi lost it's signal from downstairs. So I just fire up the Nexus and tether...

It is free, easy, and called "wireless tether for root users". Here is the link to the downloads... http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

T

When you say tethered, do you mean by a USB cable or WiFi?

MrKleen

Reaction score
Sorry... I edited my first post. It's all wireless the way we like it!

cloud12077

Reaction score
As I type this I am tethered "wirelessly" to my home desktop because my wifi lost it's signal from downstairs. So I just fire up the Nexus and tether...

T

Unlocking and rooting your Nexus is very easy and the instructions are everywhere. Let us know if you have any other questions...

Enjoy!

+1 for the link. That's what I use as well!

EDIT: If you want one that works without root I used easy tether before and that worked well on both my OG and GNex.

OP
M

mariomp

Reaction score
I don't mind rooting, just need to know which one works well and is easy to do.
All I'm looking for is :
wireless tether
better battery life (if any roots help with that),
better signal switching (right now I may loose 4G and not have any signal for a minute or two, and then all of the sudden 4G 3-5bars again)
maybe an ability to auto-fill contacts as I start typing phone number (something I had on my DroidX, but not on this one). I liked that I could start typing 400, and it would show me all the numbers (contacts and recent called) containing those numbers.

Anything else like faster portrait/landscape switching, no lock, etc. would just be gravy.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

OP
M

mariomp

Reaction score

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't mind rooting, just need to know which one works well and is easy to do.
All I'm looking for is :
wireless tether
better battery life (if any roots help with that),
better signal switching (right now I may loose 4G and not have any signal for a minute or two, and then all of the sudden 4G 3-5bars again)
maybe an ability to auto-fill contacts as I start typing phone number (something I had on my DroidX, but not on this one). I liked that I could start typing 400, and it would show me all the numbers (contacts and recent called) containing those numbers.

Anything else like faster portrait/landscape switching, no lock, etc. would just be gravy.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
A ROM will help you in all those. Off the top of my head, and I didn't do much research just word from others, I believe Axiom ROM covers all those. Check out the ROMs section and read up.

If you are going to root and ROM, your phone will require a factory reset so you will lose your information.

Chubbydog

Reaction score
Elixir 2 - Widgets

I downloaded that app, but I can't figure out how to use it as a tether. I'm stock, and just wanna use my Nexus as a hotspot for when my sone comes over with his Android tablet. Is there another app I have to download? I'm lost, and don't really wanna pay Verizon any more money than I already do.

Fonzz

Reaction score
I used to use hot spot for my laptop from my DroidX before the update ruined that experiance.:frown:

Now that I'm Gnex, what do you guys use to use your cell to connect laptops to the net?
I'm on stock OS (no root), and because I'm on unlimited data ( and refuse to pay for VZ's hot spot service with it's reduced data plan and additional fee), I'm looking for options.

I would obviously prefer for it to be wireless, but if I have to go the tether route, than so be it.

TIA,
Mario

The part of your post that I've highlighted in bold has me a bit confused. I'm also on unlimited data and I chose to pay the additional 30 bucks for the Verizon hotspot because I'm using it all the time (lots of data) and don't want to risk any trouble. I'm truly unlimited in this fashion so I'm confused about that part where you say "reduced data plan".