What do I need to allow my phone to gain charge while using GPS in the car?

Dmoralize

Reaction score
I have whatever car charger they gave me at the Verizon store and i've driven hours while using GPS and it charged the phone full. No problems here. Seems that people are having mixed results though. If you're rooted and overclocked you could try bumping the speed back down to normal too.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I bought a Kensington Mini Car Charger from Amazon $10. It outputs 700mA. I can use the gps and still charge the battery slowly. I don't think the 500mA chargers have enough to charge and use the gps.

wil20mva

Reaction score
I've used a car cig lighter to USB and used the usb cable. It works great. I had the micro USB charger (the one with the expanding/flexible coil) from my BB Storm and found that it doesnt send enough juice. The power drained slowly or stayed at the same levels...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can hook up an inverter so that the car's 12v system gets converted to 110 house v and use the wall charger, that should supply enough power to charge while running GPS. Most 5 to 10 amp inverters run between $25 - $100 depending on which brand you go with.
Inverters are inefficient though. I'd highly recommend getting a car charger with a higher mA rating.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
I agree a higher rated car charger is the answer.

Does anyone know of one? and it's output?

Ron W.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Sounds like the phone. I have the moto charger that I got on amazon for like $3 and i've gone 5 hours with GPS, streaming music and the battery was full when I was done.

kmasum

Reaction score
I noticed same problem with my droid, it charge sometimes and sometimes it doesn't..
I am using regular cheap car charger which I bought from ebay.