Welcome to the Motorola Smart Actions Developer Team Forums

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
We'd like to welcome everyone to the Official Forums of the Motorola Smart Actions Developer Team. In here you will find support and discussion on Smart Actions for Motorola devices. This area will be used for feedback, tech support and the overall advancement of Smart Actions. Please review the posting guidelines when posting in these forums. Enjoy the new forums everyone!!!!!!!!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! This is so exciting! :icon_ banana:dancedroidDancingNexus

srgolub

Reaction score
Awesome - Smart Actions is one of my favorite features of my RAZR MAXX.

I guess I'll be the first to ask a question...I have the RAZR MAXX, my wife has the Droid 4. Smart Actions on the RAZR has several features available that the Droid 4 does not - specifically the ability to turn off mobile data when connected to Wifi (big battery saver) and the ability to use "No motion detected" as a trigger. Why different features for different phones and do you anticipate these will be added to the Droid 4?

Thanks and welcome to the forums.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every phone has a variety of hardware components, each with advantages and disadvantages (cost, speed, size, carrier). Depending on the multitude of factors not all parts are ported over to the newest phones. In the case of the Droid 4 the component that makes the motion trigger run is missing. The goal is to have consistency between all the product lines but this can't always be the case. I don't work on the hardware side so I don't have much control over what goes in.

B-RAN

Reaction score
Welcome and thanks for your time on this great site! I was wondering if you could give your recommendation of top 3-5 Must have or BEST Smart Action settings to increase battery. My wife and I have the Razr's and she has been having battery issues of late. At work, I'm always hooked to the charger, but she is not. Thanks for your time!

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
So this is the surprise we've been waiting for. My question would there be an option of switching from 4G to 3G when screen turns off and no motion? Then 4G again once there is movement and screen comes back

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
B-RAN,
Wow that's a loaded question. There are tons of ways to drain a battery quickly, some are worse than others. GPS, time your display is on, brightness, fringe coverage, background data, streaming videos, etc. Your looking for the secret recipe. Everyone's usage is different so its difficult to find a perfect balance. I recommend starting with the sample battery rules, and build from there. You could try experimenting with Airplane mode but that shuts off a lot of stuff so it can have side effects.

TRIKOTRET,
Lots of requests for 3g/4g switching, this is on my list.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF and thank you in advance for your time and contributions. It is greatly appreciated!!

SLAYER6669

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to come to the forums. I'm sure this has likely been requested prior to your visits here, but more options for actions as far as ringtones/volumes are concerned would prove very useful such as:

Notification ringtone/volume, Media volume and even the notification ringtone within the text message app would help as I would like to have a much louder tone while I'm in my car and shorter/quicker one at work, but I don't know if its even possible for smart actions to change that.

Which location service does smart actions use? Is it the one that says "VZW location services"? Or is it completely dependant on WIFI? It can sometimes take over 5 minutes after leaving my work for the location trigger to shut down my work smart action based on location. Is this because of how often the phone is checking where I am, or because I have to drive a certain distance to connect to another tower before it realizes I'm not at the location any longer? I'm just curious what triggers smart actions to know I'm no longer at the location I set.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
SLAYER6669,
Yes media and notifications are on my list, a very popular request.

"Which location service does smart actions use?"
Smart Actions uses its own logic to capture locations which is depending on Wi-Fi. We dont use Verizon Location Services at all. To save battery life we check occasionally. Many factors effect how frequently we check so its a bit more than 5 min intervals.

drakenhoffen,
I'm not involved in product planning, so I don't know if it's coming to the Droid or not.

Andielyn

Reaction score
SLAYER6669,
"Which location service does smart actions use?"
Smart Actions uses its own logic to capture locations which is depending on Wi-Fi. We dont use Verizon Location Services at all. To save battery life we check occasionally. Many factors effect how frequently we check so its a bit more than 5 min intervals.

(Disclaimer: I'm a fairly new MAXX owner) I am a bit confused on the location trigger. WiFi must be on at all times for this trigger to work? When trying to set up locations and choose "current location" it said GPS is not activated. I had to check the check the "standalong GPS services" box for it to correctly identify my location (I already had Google location services checkmarked.) Am I missing something?

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Andielyn ,
Ah... when you go to "current location" we are essentially launching another app, so whatever that app uses to capture your location is separate from our stuff. Sorry for the confusion. For Smart Actions we're using wi-fi to detect such things as when entering and leaving locations. We also do more, but that example is the most straight forward.

Gritchu

Reaction score
I saw back in March there was a request for Media volume to be an action. I want to second, third, fourth, and fifth this request.

When I'm in my office, I like to have the ringer and media volumes set at vibrate/silence. However, when I connect my phone via bluetooth to my car, I need the media volume to be at 100% or the car doesn't play any audio from the phone. I often forget to do this before I pull out of the garage, and it isn't very safe to make those adjustments while driving (although I manage). Currently my car actions include detecting it is in the car dock, turning the bluetooth on, setting the ringer volume up, setting the brightness to be auto, and connecting to my car system. It covers everything I need while driving except the media volume.

Also, I had this clever idea of setting my phone up to auto detect when I'm at a movie theater so that it can turn off the ringer and essentially set it to a low power mode, just in case i forget to turn the phone off. This works great when I arrive at the theater and pick up my tickets. However, once I walk into the actual theater seating area, it looses the wifi signal and forgets that i'm at a theater and then turns everything back on.

I love smart actions and often try and think up cool ways to use them. More triggers and more actions would be wonderful.

Thanks,
- G