Welcome to my nightmare.

AcridGosling

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the deal. I was running 4.5.602 (I think), laughing at all the newbies who updated to .621. I had custom rom, custom boot logo, custom service banner, you name it. I used titanium backup pro to backup everything.

Well, my screen burnt out. Literally the top right 1/4 of my screen was completely black.

I took my phone to Verizon, they ordered a warranty replacement. I got the replacement, its .621!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I now have no way to get my contacts or messages back. I got some from backup assistant, but it is apparently incompatible with "go contacts ex".

Since there is no way to root my replacement, is there a way to recover contacts out of a "titanium backup" backup?

:banghead: Someone save me from the nightmare that is build 4.5.621.
:banghead: :eek:

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
AcridGosling

AcridGosling

Reaction score
1. The instructions listed to not specify DROID 2, but DROID 2 global.

2. Those instructions are not confirmed as being for build .621, the original author has not replied to the build.

3. From my understanding, the 1 click root will brick the phone and there is no sbf out for .621.

4. From my understanding any attempt at sbf-ing a .621 phone results in bricking. I unfortunately don't have an extra phone.

5. I am sounding really inconsiderate right now. Thank you. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just giving you the link so you can follow it and see if anything develops. There's a guy on Rootz working on it with some people as well but he hasn't updated in a few days.

desertknit

Reaction score
re: welcome to my nightmare

...just a thought...
Ebay sells Droid2 at about $150, more or less.
My screen died from dropping the phone. Insurance had a deductible of $99 for a refurbish phone. I found I could get a phone from Ebay for $167 in reasonably good shape (the ad said "new"). The phone software was pre-update. I got it end of April 2012.
...just a thought...

OP
AcridGosling

AcridGosling

Reaction score
I think im going to just wait for root. I don't have the extra cash to buy another 1. It was a thought for craigslist though.

napjester

Reaction score
As much as I like my droid 2, I'm eligible for the upgrade so the next phone I actually spend money on will be a new phone, not a refurb. Aren't the Droid Maxx's rooted?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can root the Max, but no, no phones come with root access stock. The Galaxy Nexus comes with an easily unlockable bootloader, and there are tools to do the same on the new Moto devices as well as the HTC Rezound and a few others.

napjester

Reaction score
You can root the Max, but no, no phones come with root access stock. The Galaxy Nexus comes with an easily unlockable bootloader, and there are tools to do the same on the new Moto devices as well as the HTC Rezound and a few others.

Oops, I meant to say rootable, not rooted. I've heard a lot of good things about the Maxx (not so good about the Nexus and that was from a Verizon guy in their store). I notice I rarely use the keyboard (swype all the way!) so why pay almost the same price for older tech if you can root the new stuff? Also, why not get the Droid 3 or 4? Size?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'll probably be happier with the Droid 4 or MAXX over the D3. The 3 definitely has the best keyboard, but you get 4G with the MAXX and D4, and a great battery with the MAXX. With the 3 you will likely never get an official version of ICS. Support is great on all, including the Rezound, so I'd go play with them and see what you like.