Weird email problems - retrieving but not leaving on server, and then disappearing!

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Please help, someone! Have searched everywhere but can't find any solutions.

I have 3 email accounts I set up.

"Gmail-hosted accounts"
2 email accounts use my own domain, but are hosted by gmail. The settings used are:
- pop.gmail.com
- incoming port 995
- SSL
- Leave a copy of messages on server

Shared-hosting Account
1 email account uses my own domain, but are hosted by a shared hosting provider. Settings used are pretty standard:
- mail.domain.com
- incoming port 110
- no SSL
- Leave copy of messages on server

I use the above settings on both my Outlook and Droid. I used to use these settings with Outlook and my Blackberry and have never had problems.

After setting this up on my Droid, I find that my Shared-hosting Account is working perfectly, exactly as you would expect. Both Outlook and Droid retrieves the emails.

However, my Gmail-hosted Accounts are behaving very strangely:

1. An email would either be received by my Outlook, or by my Droid, BUT NOT BOTH. It seems like it depends which one picked it up first.

2. When my Droid picks up the email, it will stay there for a while, but then after a while, it disappears! Just vanishes! Therefore, both Accounts are, as of today, still empty!

I've reset the Droid and reconfigured the emails - no help. I've tried using another client like K9 - same thing is happening.

Anyone with the same problem? Any suggestions? This is very frustrating for me.

btw, love the Droid in all other respects.

Thanks lots in advance.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Use Gmail with the Gmail client and not the converged e-mail box.

OP
Oohyeah

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, JayMonster.

I gave that a go and I think I've got it set up fine now. It's a pity this effectively forces me to use the gmail client and prevents me from using other clients (like K9) though, but I'll live. :)

One problem I had after doing this was having to use 2 clients to retrieve all emails (one being the Droid email client, and the other being the gmail client). I have now consolidated everything by doing this:

1. I set up 1 'special-purpose' gmail email account
2. This email account is set to also retrieve the emails from the share-hosting server (nice thing is that it adds a label so I can easily identify emails that come from here)
3. I wanted this email account to also retrieve from the other 2 gmail accounts, but gmail won't let me "leave on server", so I had to ditch this plan.
4. I therefore set up the other 2 gmails accounts to auto-forward a copy of the emails to this 'special-purpose' gmail account.
5. On the 'special-purpose' gmail account, I also set up new filters to apply labels to those 2 gmail accounts.
6. I also set it up so that when I hit 'reply', it will default to use the same email account to send the email.
7. On my Droid, this 'special-purpose' account is my default gmail account that I sync with.

The result is that now I have ALL 3 email accounts (2 hosted on gmail, 1 on a shared-hosting server) consolidated onto 1 gmail account, and this is what my Droid shows.

Hope that helps people in a similar position!