Webtop Works Just Fine After Rooting and De-Bloating

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Works even better actually, since Firefox doesn't have to compete with all that bloatware for limited resources. I had heard conflicting reports about this, with many people claiming that rooting breaks webtop completely, so this thread is just an FYI for anyone who wants to root but may be afraid of losing webtop access. Here are the steps that worked for me (I use webtop via the HDMI Dock):

First, I got the official OTA update (actually someone posted their OTA file and I installed it manually, but it's the same file). I had been wanting to root since I got my Bionic on release day, but decided to wait until the first OTA.

Used the method described in this thread to root post-OTA install. Worked without a hitch.

Next I installed Bionic Recovery Bootstrap from the Market. Created bootstrap, booted into recovery, and made a full nandroid backup with all bloatware intact. I did this as a precaution in case I have any problems unfreezing the bloat for a future OTA update.

Rebooted and installed Titanium Backup Pro (which I already owned from my OG Droid days). Changed the backup location to a new folder I created on the sd-ext card (otherwise it will store them on the Media Area partition due to the Bionic's weird naming scheme) and checked option to "Remove Market Entry on Freeze" (so it won't keep trying to update frozen apps). Went through and froze only the following apps:

Backup Assistant 2.3.4
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.7
GoToMeeting 1.0
Guided Tours 2.3.4
Help Center 2.3.4
Home screen tips 1.0
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
MOTOPRINT 2.0.0.38
News 2.3.4
Social Location 2.0
Social Messaging 2.3.4
Social Networking 2.3.4
Social Status 2.3.4
Swype 3.21.87.27685
Universal Inbox 2.3.4 (both entries)
V CAST Media Manager 4.4.1.0
V CAST Music 03.72.110
V CAST Tones 4.5.11
V CAST Videos 5.72.008
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353
Weather 2.3.4
World Clock 1.0

Rebooted, tested webtop with the HDMI Dock and it works great. I didn't encounter a single "Low Memory" error in 30 minutes of browsing, although some of that is due to the OTA which is supposed to improve the webtop experience and reduce the frequency of memory errors. It even feels smoother than before and more responsive.

Hopefully other webtop fans will find this guide useful. The reason I listed all the apps I froze, along with the steps, is because freezing other apps may actually break webtop (which could account for some of the reports of breakage). The apps listed above are now known not to break webtop when frozen, at least not on my phone. :p Also, keep in mind that installing a custom ROM is a totally different procedure which seems highly likely to break webtop as well.

djembeman

Reaction score
I also have had no problems running my LapDock 500 after rooting. I have froze most of the bloat too.

xmiinc

Reaction score
Thanks for the list, unbesorgt!
So...'freezing' in this context doesn't mean something an app does TO you unexpectedly, its something you do to it? Freezing is a synonym for 'locking down' an app so it doesn't use any system resources, correct? I knew I wanted to do something to those pre-installed apps, besides just hiding them (they still update...grrrr) but I didn't know I could actually make them inert. Cool. Please respond with any more clarifications, if necessary. Now that I have a Droid 4, I know I'm gonna keep this phone for awhile, which means I eventually want to root/customize it...something I've never done before. But I've heard/read enough horror stories about bricked phones to know that I want be comfortable in knowing what I'm doing (with all appropriate backups) before I do it. Plus, I'm actively using a Lapdock and I like the idea of optimizing its performance. PS: thanks for the heads up about not getting into custom ROMs if I want to keep Webtop functionality! Definitely good to know...

Last edited:

xmiinc

Reaction score
So, ignore unbesorgt's warning about possibly 'breaking' Webtop?