Webtop after Jelly Bean update?

NickNacNo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using their lapdock after updating to the new Jelly Bean patch? I haven't decided yet if I'm going to update using the file that was pushed out or wait until the official release, but if webtop 3.0 loses support on any of these updates I will be remaining on ICS .215 forever. I use my RAZR converted Atrix lapdock every day and I can't live without it.

If anyone is interested, I found a new link for a lapdock on sale. I just posted a Lapdock 100 for $59 link in the Razr Accessories area:

Ben's Outlet - Motorola Lapdock 100 for Motorola Smartphones with Ergonomic Design and 10.1" Screen!

Thanks!

YelloEye

Reaction score
Webtop 3.0 still works, I don't have a lapdock, but an hdmi cable to my phone still works like on ICS.

OP
NickNacNo

NickNacNo

Reaction score
Webtop 3.0 still works, I don't have a lapdock, but an hdmi cable to my phone still works like on ICS.

That's great news. I've never hooked up an hdmi to my phone but I will assume it functions the same way. Does connecting via hdmi bring up the same docking menu and choices as the lapdock? Thanks.

YelloEye

Reaction score
Couldn't tell you. For me the hdmi connection brings up a whole new desktop screen. All the apps are accessed in the top right, clock and status bar are at the bottom.

MightyT01

Reaction score
Webtop 3.0 enables Android Tablet mode when connected to your lap dock 100. It should also pop up as an option when using your HDMI cable. It's a terrific feature for those of us that use our RAZR Maxxes as HTPCs.

I'm interested in this feature as well and will not upgrade to JB without this functionality remaining on my Maxx.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

YelloEye

Reaction score
If an hdmi cable and lapdock both use webtop then I can confirm that it works on jelly bean.

bocabean

Reaction score
I am patiently waiting to see what happens with the JB update when it finally arrives. I use my Moto Lapdock 500 quite often and Webtop is my number one concern about the update. I also now have a Galaxy Note 10.1 wifi, however the dock is very key to what I do and I would hate to see Webtop disappear from the updates.

These "anyone's guess" dates for formally getting out the updates is very frustrating. I only got the SGN10.1 about a month ago and it too, is waiting for the JB update. Samsung is now advertising it on their US website as the official OS for the tablet (Germany and other countries have already received it), but still no definitive date.

kep24

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Lapdock 100 that is now a $250 paperweight. Phone auto-updated to Android 4.0.4 on my Droid Razr and now is no longer compatible with the lapdock, even spoke to Motorola service reps and they say it has been discontinued due to issues like this. They also say it won't work with Jelly Bean. How have you been able to use it with Ice Cream Sandwich...???

rodgeman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge
I have a Motorola Lapdock 100 that is now a $250 paperweight. Phone auto-updated to Android 4.0.4 on my Droid Razr and now is no longer compatible with the lapdock, even spoke to Motorola service reps and they say it has been discontinued due to issues like this. They also say it won't work with Jelly Bean. How have you been able to use it with Ice Cream Sandwich...???

It works just fine for me. I updated to ICS the first night I had my phone and the LapDock works great.

bocabean

Reaction score
r

I am extremely far from being any form of expert on this site, but it doesn't sound right to me at all. I got my phone in June and two weeks later, ICS came out. About a month later I bought my Lapdock 500 and it has worked fine from day one on 4.04. Take a look at "About phone" in "Settings". Two lines below where it shows Android version as 4.04, mine shows "Webtop version" on one line and right below that "wt-3.0.0". If it's there, then there is something wrong with when you are connecting your phone with the dock.

Please double check the "About phone" status and let us know if it is there. If it is, chances are that someone or someones can walk you through the rest of the way. I am using my dock every day, even with also having a 10" tablet now, as well. Hopefully your dock will regain its usefulness!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
r

I am extremely far from being any form of expert on this site, but it doesn't sound right to me at all. I got my phone in June and two weeks later, ICS came out. About a month later I bought my Lapdock 500 and it has worked fine from day one on 4.04. Take a look at "About phone" in "Settings". Two lines below where it shows Android version as 4.04, mine shows "Webtop version" on one line and right below that "wt-3.0.0". If it's there, then there is something wrong with when you are connecting your phone with the dock.

Please double check the "About phone" status and let us know if it is there. If it is, chances are that someone or someones can walk you through the rest of the way. I am using my dock every day, even with also having a 10" tablet now, as well. Hopefully your dock will regain its usefulness!

I have both lapdocks and they've worked flawlessly since the ICS update.

kep24

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I do have Android 4.0.4 and wt 3.0.0, and the lapdock is able to display all of my phone aps and functions wonderfully. But, the previous Lapdock 100 functions and Firefox browser, etc are not even diplayed anymore, so it is now just a larger screen for my phone. So, to say it is useless is not true, but it is not worth the $250 I paid. I spoke to Motorola and they have again confirmed that I am not alone in this, and have offered me a refund. Thanks again, K

rokky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Asus PadFone X
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I do have Android 4.0.4 and wt 3.0.0, and the lapdock is able to display all of my phone aps and functions wonderfully. But, the previous Lapdock 100 functions and Firefox browser, etc are not even diplayed anymore, so it is now just a larger screen for my phone. So, to say it is useless is not true, but it is not worth the $250 I paid. I spoke to Motorola and they have again confirmed that I am not alone in this, and have offered me a refund. Thanks again, K

In case it still matters to anyone, the "Laptop 100 functions and Firefox browser" were the way Webtop 2 worked. It was essentially running a Linux virtual machine image, with a customized FF version for it. Webtop 3 changed completely to having the tablet/phone modes. In your case it sounds as though you have not chosen the WT 3 "Webtop mode" (or whatever the non-phone mode is called) by clicking the little square icon with arrows in each corner on the bottom status line to switch from phone to the non-phone mode. That makes it more like a tablet layout with higher resolution than the phone mode that just magnifies the phone layout and resolution (mirror mode). In WT/tablet mode Android FF is decent, and overall WT 3 performs better than WT 2 did on GB (supposedly - I did not have GB running long with a Lapdock, so not much experience in that version combo).

What I am curious about is what the Razr HD's (Maxx and non-Maxx) with JB do when hooked up to the HDMI and USB connections of a Lapdock and/or HD dock - seems they should be able to use the larger display just like hooking to a monitor? I got a Note 2 recently, and am finding it a bit big to carry around conveniently on my belt as I have done with a Bionic and other, smaller phones. I sort of liked the smaller Bionic on my belt for quick one-handed phone tasks, and a Lapdock 100 in a small pack/case over my shoulder or in a bigger pack with other gear for times when I wanted the WT 3 interface for more "serious" usage.

For some reason VzW thinks the Bionic I used for the last 5 months is all of a sudden using a lost/stolen ESN/IMEI number that had no such issue back in July, 2013 when I first activated it, and they insist I was not using the model with that number during those 5 months. I know what phone I had in my possession and on their network for 5 months! Anyway, now that they have pulled that SNAFU on me with my Bionic that will not let me switch back, I am looking at similar Moto's like the Razr's with a focus on whether the HD's will work (some way) with the Lapdock.

FWIW