Weak 3G signal?

Reaction score
Well im back home from college, and I noticed my 3G signal has been abnormally weak back in my home town... (and possibly at college too, but since its a major city with more towers, maybe I didnt notice it?)

But usually at home I have 3-5 bars... and now I have 0-1.

Now, at first I would chalk this up the the new rom I just flashed (Bugless beat 0.6.1) but my father has an unhacked Droid2, and he has more or less the same signal as me.

Has anyone else noticed this? Perhaps its LTE upgrades they are doing? Either way, its annoying :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
what you can try is dialing *228 and then choosing option 2 this should provide a better signal.

do you happen to be using a different phone now? Sounds like it's just your area and you didn't really notice before.

when i go to my cousin's house which is like 3 miles away i get basically 0-1 bar, dropping in and out of 3g, at home i have full bars. Even dialing *228 doesn't help at their house so i figure it's the area, even though there's a verizon store a little over 200yds away...very strange...

OP
I
Reaction score
*228 and option 2 will just reprogram the phone?

But, no, I have had my droid since Day 1, when they were released.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
*228 and option 2 will just reprogram the phone?

But, no, I have had my droid since Day 1, when they were released.

doing that little step sometimes helps with my signal.

i believe what it does is it updates to the nearest cell tower, giving you better signal

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It updates the PRL. In some case it helps. In some cases it doesn't. It's not a panacea for coverage issues as many make it out to be.

But usually at home I have 3-5 bars... and now I have 0-1.
Are you actually having problems with placing/receiving calls or using data? Or are you just fixated on the number? The number of bars isn't quite as important with CDMA, IIRC.

If you're really concerned you need to be looking at dBm, not bars.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I always make sure to have data roaming turned on in settings also. Some ROMs have it checked for you already some don't.

This Probably doesn't make a difference for most people but by me Verizon uses another company's towers to help with signal strength when need be. (or so they told me)

A Nobody

Reaction score
Try switching to airplane mode let it sit for 30 secs then back to 3g...that resets it and help me out.