We need a Good Music News App, ASAP!

Reaction score
So I noticed that aside from the generic news app that comes on Droid devices, that has an entertainment section, there are no Music News apps in the market place. And the entertainment section of the stock news/weather app only talks a lil bit about music and the music it does talk about is just the current big trend. And I don't listen to the radio or any of the current pop trends. I listen to mostly underground metal, as well as old school blues, Classical, jazz, and 90's alternative, grunge, stuff like that. So I really want an app that gives me music news about the artisits and genres that I like. But from the searches I've done in the marketplace, nothing like that exsists. I did find an app for the record label "Nuclear Blast" which is a metal record label. Which I like it but it only shows updates/news/tourdates about the bands on that label. And like I said, I want something that lets me choose what music news it shows me, based on the genres and bands/artists that I select. That would be awesome. To have an app where I pick, for example, lets say I select Death Metal as one of the genres I was news about. And so then it gives me updates and articles about the happenings in that genre and the bands in it, kno what I mean. So basically, you have the app which allows you to pick multiple bands and artists as well as genres and even Record Labels, Music/Recording Gear Manufactures, all that kinda stuff, and then it gives you news on what you pick only. That would be so frigging nice. There's an app for the gaming site, N4G, and it lets you pick what consoles and developers and other stuff, you want it to.give you news updates about. I want that except music. There's a music website called, www.Ultimate-Guitar.com, you fellow musicians prolly have heard of it. Its main purpose is to give guitar and bass tablature to people (for those who don't know, tablature is a form of sheet music for those of us who play guitar and or bass, I mostly play guitar but I play a lil bass as well, I've been a guitarist since I was 14 so close to 11yrs now) but they also have a huge section devoted to music news, about different bands and artisits and genres, and the music industry. They also do reviews and previews of all sorts of music gear (not just guitar or bass, but all instruments and recording hardware, everything that musicians and people who work in the recording industry use) and albums, etc etc. Now if they could put that into an app, and give you the choice for what bands, genres, record labels, types of gear, etc etc, you wanna get news articles and updates and reviews about, I would be willing to pay for it, even if it cost 20$ I wouldn't mind. Ultimate-guitar does have an app but its only for looking up tablature. So yea, that's my disappointment for the day and what I think the next big all should be. Sorry for making it such a long post, but music is my life, it's everything to me, its my passion, its what I eat and breathe and sleep! So I really want an app that reflects that. I've been a musician since 2nd grade (I'm almost 25, so been a musician quite awhile), and I go to school for Music and Audio Engineering/Music Production, and I need an app like this ! and I know i'm not the only one who would love, and pay to have an app like this. Almost everyone in my current band are android users and we've all talked about this subject a lot. So what do you guys think ? and again sorry for the long post, and thanks for bearing with me, and reading the whole thing. Like i said, Music is my entire life, so this is an important subject for me, and if there was an app like that, it would be the only app, besides a music player, that i would ever need for the rest of my life lol.....ANYWAYS, DISCUSS !

Sent using my Droid X, Powered by Rubix Focused 2.0.1

Last edited:
OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
I know coding (custom PC building, networking, as well as 3D modelling, animation and programming are my 2nd passion, after music) but I've never made an app before (I've written programs in my coding classes that I've taken between high-school and some at the college in at, but mostly I've written code for video game mods which is hella fun) but I think I finally found a basis for an app I want to design, is there some type of developer kit I can get to help get started, and would anyone else be interested in starting a team to design a music news app, like the one I described. It would not only be fun to do, but I know for a fact that people, especially musician/android users, would love an app like that. And like I said, most if my coding experience is from making mods and animation scripts for games, and total conversion mods for counterstrike/half-life, Call of Duty, Command and Conquer, Neverwinter nights, and quite a few others. So I think I can handle making an android app with the help of some other people, one of them needing to have experience with android development and it would be a bounus if you actually worked on making an app before. Let me kno If you're interested!

Last edited:

thinman72069

Reaction score
An app like that would be cool. I tend to get my music news via band (and record label) websites and social pages in this day and age.
We share alot of the same musical taste, other than the grunge though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
An app like that would be cool. I tend to get my music news via band (and record label) websites and social pages in this day and age.
We share alot of the same musical taste, other than the grunge though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Well I'm from Seattle so I grew up on Nirvana and Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, mudhoney, stuff like that, as well as a lot of blues like, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Johnny Lang, and of course Stevie Ray Vaughan, which he's my favorite guitarist of all time and arguably the greatest of all time. But I am definitely a metal head, Veil of Maya, Suffocation, August Burns Red, Necrophagist, etc etc, and deftones (tho they aren't technically metal, but they are my favorite band, I call them "Art Metal"). And I listen to a mix of other stuff as well but Metal is my main music, all different sub-genres of it, i could go on for days about music and different bands and music gear. Then after metal, I listen to the blues. Cause without the blues, we wouldn't have rock or metal. Same thing goes for classical, cause metal draws heavily from classical. Especially in the complexity and the way the compositions are arranged. But yea, I get my music news and music gear reviews/news, from various sites as well, but to have an app like the one I described would be amazing. Like I said, I'm good at coding, but I've never made an app for android before. So if I could find a developers kit (SDK) and someone to work with, who is familiar with android development, then I could make it happen. And I would most likely not charge for the app cause I believe music should be free to a certain extent as well as the news about it. So if anyone wants to help me do that, then please PM me. And if someone could let me kno about a developers kit if ones available to devs, that would be great too.....oh and yea, like I said, sorry for the super long post, but music is my passion and my life like I said, and I just wanted to share my idea for that app and see what people thought

Last edited: