Way to map Camera (record/take) function to Menu/Search on X2?

xmguy

Reaction score
I'm getting a Droid X2 as a insurance replacement (Asurian) for my Droid X. Problem is I use my Droid X ALOT to record (song) covers for YouTube. I use the physical camera key on the X all the time. However since the X2 has no physical button and I don't want to try to touch a touch button on screen. I'm looking for a Market app. Free or not. That I can map the search key to. But still maintain the Press and hold Google Voice search. Any such app? All I've found will map but you loose the secondary function of the key. i.e Holding Menu brings up keyboard. If I map to menu button I loose access to the single press access. Search, I loose access to the press and hold.

Last edited:

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
I'm getting a Droid X2 as a insurance replacement (Asurian) for my Droid X. Problem is I use my Droid X ALOT to record (song) covers for YouTube. I use the physical camera key on the X all the time. However since the X2 has no physical button and I don't want to try to touch a touch button on screen. I'm looking for a Market app. Free or not. That I can map the search key to. But still maintain the Press and hold Google Voice search. Any such app? All I've found will map but you loose the secondary function of the key. i.e Holding Menu brings up keyboard. If I map to menu button I loose access to the single press access. Search, I loose access to the press and hold.

This Is The Stock Android Camera App That Turns The Search Button Into The Camera Button For Taking Pictures Or Start/Stop Video.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

This Is The Stock Android Camera App That Turns The Search Button Into The Camera Button For Taking Pictures Or Start/Stop Video.

I tried that. Thanks but I need the Blur camera to run. As it has the audio mic settings. I need those for best recording.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
You're Gonna Have Ask A Dev. To Cook You Up That Then Because Right Now That's The Best (I've Seen) We Got.

I don't know any Devs. Maybe some that read these threads would be willing to help.

hobby31

Reaction score
As far as opening the camera you can go to setting/applications/double tap home. Select it and scroll and set it to camera. Now you can double tap the home button and the camera will open. You still have to use the touch button onscreen to take a picture though.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
That will start the app. But not start/stop the recording. I need to map that to a physical button since I can't see the screen when I'm doing a cover.

srvctec

Reaction score
Me too! It seems like common sense that if they got rid of the physical dedicated camera button, they'd map the search button to at least take the photo and start recording in videos. I sometimes wonder WTH engineers are thinking when they design something.

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't mind not having a physical camera button I can work around that with a few different apps, what bothers me is the physical keys at the bottom, (menu, home, back..) They have a history of breaking, I'm on my 2nd dx2 and still wonder why they didn't use ones like the motorola droid?

SENT FROM MY DROID X2 USING ECLIPSE ROM GB 2.3.3 + BNB CUSTOM THEME

Last edited:

Versatile1

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Awesome wish it was the new camera though. But awesome none the less

SENT FROM MY DROID X2 USING ECLIPSE ROM GB 2.3.3 + BNB CUSTOM THEME