Way to get 2.2 Froyo WITHOUT flashing phone to default/loosing root access???

xmguy

Reaction score
I have a stock version (VZW NOT ROM) of 2.1 rooted. I want to get 2.2 but don't want to loose all my apps and settings (more settings and such) since only apps are backed up. Is there a way to achieve this. Upgrade to 2.2 NOT have to flash to default settings. Any ideas?

Also how do I get 2.2 from a ROOTED 2.1?

nateccnn

Reaction score
Go to the news section. Look for the thread titled something like "Alert...Froyo circus continues" or something to that effect. Read the first 6 pages of that thread. Look for JRummy's first post on page 6 of that thread. he has the answer but you may not get it without reading the first 6 pages...or maybe you will get it. Anyrate...he stripped stock recovery out of the OTA file and added Superuser and BusyBox so you won't lose root.

Nate

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I flashed the update. It worked I got Froyo. But Helix launcher would not run without FC. Plus it was all VERY sluggish. I've since returned to my rooted 2.1.

nateccnn

Reaction score
What is it about Helix Launcher that you like sop much? I always used Launcher Pro cuz I did not like the stock launcher. However...since installing the 2.2 rom I don't use Launcher Pro anymore...just the stock launcher. Maybe give it a shot to see if you no longer need Helix. Just a thought.

Nate

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
What is it about Helix Launcher that you like sop much? I always used Launcher Pro cuz I did not like the stock launcher. However...since installing the 2.2 rom I don't use Launcher Pro anymore...just the stock launcher. Maybe give it a shot to see if you no longer need Helix. Just a thought.

Nate

Now I can't download anything from the Android Market. Since I reverted to 2.1. How do I fix this?!
Just says "Starting Download" never downloads though.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Helix does not work well in Froyo. Look into LauncherPro and/or ADW as a replacement.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Helix does not work well in Froyo. Look into LauncherPro and/or ADW as a replacement.

That fixes that (for the launcher). But Froyo IMHO was VERY slow to load or do ANYTHING.

I used the update listed here.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...es-frg01b-official-get-here-6.html#post713153

I'm just not seeing the real advantages of Froyo anymore. I don't use the web-browser much, So flash isn't needed much. The camera UI is a bit different but no real new options. So unless it gets better. I'm just gonna stay on 2.1 for now.

I use the droid for:

* Music Playback (MP3)
* Streaming Music (Radio,etc)
* Camera
* Calls (duh, lol)
* Texting/Picture Messaging
* Musician Apps (like Guitar tuner, etc)

So Froyo isn't really needed now for me. THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED!!

But using the link above you CAN keep ALL apps settings as normal AND get Froyo.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
If someone can tell me what I'm gaining from Froyo. I might upgrade again that I don't already have access to that I would use. I really don't know enough about Froyo to know if I need it or not. Thanks!

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I went ahead and restored defaults and flashed to Froyo. But I kept having WiFi issues and just over all slowness. I will wait to see what the new release of Froyo from VZW will offer.