Waterproof Samsung Galaxy S5 Pictures Leak Ahead of Launch Today

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-saudi-leaked-galaxys5-pics1.png

We've seen a ton of other rumors regarding it, but Samsung has done a pretty good job of not letting images get released of their next flagship, the Galaxy S5. That changed this morning. Just a scant few hours ahead of their impending official unveiling of the device, several pics of the device have been leaked.

Besides just the aesthetics of the device, this new leak also reveals and confirms previous rumors which suggested the device would be waterproof(resistant), and as we can see (this version) doesn't have metal in the case as has been rumored before.

There were actually a series of pics, so rather than posting them all here on the front page, here's a link to a separate post with all of them: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...laxy-s5-pics-ahead-unveiling.html#post2513316

Here's a quote with more info gleaned from the intel which came with this leak:

The Galaxy S5 will be water and dust resistant, as has been previously rumored. We’re talking about the ‘main’ model here, so there won’t be a need for an Active-branded version anymore. The microUSB slot (which has been bumped up to support USB 3.0, making it the second handset with that feature after the Galaxy Note 3) is covered by a flap to enable the water proofing. The Galaxy S5 adheres to the IP67 standard, so you can submerge it into up to one meter of water for up to 30 minutes without a problem.

There’s a fingerprint sensor in tow, and it’s inside the Home button. It’s a swipe-type thing, unlike Apple’s Touch ID in the iPhone 5S – so you’ll need to swipe your finger across it to register your prints. On the back, below the camera and right next to the LED flash is a heart rate sensor. It works when you put your index finger on top of it. The location was chosen due to the natural tendency for your index finger to rest somewhere in that area when you use the phone.

The 16 MP camera will come with ‘selective focus’, allowing you to snap a picture, and then choose whether to focus on the foreground, the background, or both. 4K video recording is in too. TouchWiz got some new icons this time around, and a phone version of the Magazine UX present on the Pro tablets is in too – as an evolution of sorts to the My Magazine feature that debuted in the Galaxy Note 3.

We don’t know yet what size the screen will be, but based on the comparison pics above, it’s going to be a tad larger than that in the Galaxy S4 – so maybe those rumors consistently talking about a 5.25″ panel were right. The resolution is claimed to be ‘just’ 1080p Full HD, and not 2,560×1,440 QHD, but a different model with the latter could also be announced today – and it might ship later than this one. ~ UnWiredView

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I guess they are taking the Apple approach and making every new phone look like the last phone. But I may be in the minority but I do like the perforated back. Quite a different look. Still a Samsung and still won't own one.

Galaxy-S5-6.jpg

Galaxy-S5-7.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous that their two high-end devices would be that close in size. It's like Sammie has two choices for high-end phones - "giant device for huge hands" and "giant device for large hands"

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
It's ridiculous that their two high-end devices would be that close in size. It's like Sammie has two choices for high-end phones - "giant device for huge hands" and "giant device for large hands"

Agreed. I love my Note 3 but they need to stop making them bigger. I have no problem saying the iPhone is ridiculously small, but the S5 is just too big.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

They are trying to fill every possible size.

Recently discontinued, or currently on the market (or coming very soon) they have:

S3 Mini: 4.0"
S4 Mini: 4.3"
S3: 4.8"
S4: 5"
S5: 5.2"
Note 2: 5.5"
Note 3: 5.7"
Galaxy Mega: 6.3"
Galaxy Tab 3 7.0: 7"
Galaxy Tab 7.7: 7.7"
Note 8.0: 8"
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: 8.4"
Galaxy Tab 8.9: 8.9"
Note 10.1: 10.1"
Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2: 12.2"

Did I miss any??? LOL

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Did I miss any??? LOL

Isn't there an S5 mini (or will be)? And the problem is that will have mid-tier specs.

On the plus side, it's VERY easy to avoid the temptation of paying full retail to upgrade my phone.

Rhino94

Reaction score
They are trying to fill every possible size.

Recently discontinued, or currently on the market (or coming very soon) they have:

S3 Mini: 4.0"
S4 Mini: 4.3"
S3: 4.8"
S4: 5"
S5: 5.2"
Note 2: 5.5"
Note 3: 5.7"
Galaxy Mega: 6.3"
Galaxy Tab 3 7.0: 7"
Galaxy Tab 7.7: 7.7"
Note 8.0: 8"
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: 8.4"
Galaxy Tab 8.9: 8.9"
Note 10.1: 10.1"
Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2: 12.2"

Did I miss any??? LOL

I think they are just trying to move with the market and have every available option open for customers. They obviously are trying to go after a lot of different target markets.