water damage situation (AGAIN!?!?)

nakhleh926

Reaction score
The questions are towards the bottom if you don't feel like reading about my adventure.
They are separated from the story by a line like

this.

so yesterday morning my buddies and I decided to play capture the flag and climb trees in 6F degree weather, in the process, a ton of being tackled to the floor combined with really heavy wind with a bunch of snow flying EVERYWHERE, got some snow on my phone, it went into the 3.5m jack, I'm not sure how much but it was visible, and MAYBE into the charging ports, I couldn't take the battery out because I was covered in snow, so I shook it violently and prayed for the best. 40 minutes later in my friends heated(THANK GOD) home, I used my phone and it locked up, I took the battery out and it was freezing, so I rubbed it between my hands for a few and put it back in, its been fine since.

I'm noticing some sluggishness but I don't know if its from paranoia or if I really messed something up, is it possible to have damaged it from water but still have it work just a little bit slower, or if it was damaged would that specific part not work at all? I'm pretty worried as I don't have ANYTHING for entertainment other than my phone. The water damage indicators are fine, behind the battery door at least, I can't see the rest.

Thank you in advance for your responses and I'll probably thank you again after anyway because that's how I roll.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

KHeeney5

Reaction score
The questions are towards the bottom if you don't feel like reading about my adventure.

this.

so yesterday morning my buddies and I decided to play capture the flag and climb trees in 6F degree weather, in the process, a ton of being tackled to the floor combined with really heavy wind with a bunch of snow flying EVERYWHERE, got some snow on my phone, it went into the 3.5m jack, I'm not sure how much but it was visible, and MAYBE into the charging ports, I couldn't take the battery out because I was covered in snow, so I shook it violently and prayed for the best. 40 minutes later in my friends heated(THANK GOD) home, I used my phone and it locked up, I took the battery out and it was freezing, so I rubbed it between my hands for a few and put it back in, its been fine since.

I'm noticing some sluggishness but I don't know if its from paranoia or if I really messed something up, is it possible to have damaged it from water but still have it work just a little bit slower, or if it was damaged would that specific part not work at all? I'm pretty worried as I don't have ANYTHING for entertainment other than my phone. The water damage indicators are fine, behind the battery door at least, I can't see the rest.

Thank you in advance for your responses and I'll probably thank you again after anyway because that's how I roll.

Yesterday I was working on a buddies Jeep for a few hours. It was 20 degrees out, and when I picked my X up, the processor was 14*C. Currently it is 32*C, and it normally stays between 25-40. Anyhow, when I tried to use it, it IMMEDIATELY FROZE. Not sure if yours is related to water damage, but my phone locked up when it was really cold!

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score

this.

Yesterday I was working on a buddies Jeep for a few hours. It was 20 degrees out, and when I picked my X up, the processor was 14*C. Currently it is 32*C, and it normally stays between 25-40. Anyhow, when I tried to use it, it IMMEDIATELY FROZE. Not sure if yours is related to water damage, but my phone locked up when it was really cold!

Thank you, makes it easier on my mind thinking it was just too cold, I'm hoping that was it.

Beka27

Reaction score
If you know there's a risk your phone will get wet, you could also seal it into a ziploc bag, just to provide a little additional protection. I've routinely done this at the beach or on a boat with my phone and camera.

In your situation, it might have been caused by the cold, but better safe then sorry if you're hanging out in the snow.

CxUNG

Reaction score
I heard of a trick to use rice and it will absorb the water in the fone. Dont know if it works but it wont hurt to try right? You put your fone in a bag/bowl/container and fill it up wih rice so it will get the moisture out of the fone.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your replies, it SEEMS fine today, might try the rice thing just to be safe.

Mikeurl

Reaction score
I don't know about the rice...lots of potential rice dust problems there.

If it were me I'd run it under a hair dryer for a few minutes or leave it under a fan for a few hours. The thing with water is that if it hasn't done its damage yet then it probably won't. you'd have to be pretty unlucky to have some hidden water in there rusting away slowly...but it can happen.

KHeeney5

Reaction score
I'd put it in rice or in front of a dehumidifier.

Sent from my DROIDX

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I heard of a trick to use rice and it will absorb the water in the fone. Dont know if it works but it wont hurt to try right? You put your fone in a bag/bowl/container and fill it up wih rice so it will get the moisture out of the fone.

DO NOT PUT YOUR PHONE IN RICE IF YOU CAN AVOID IT!

The rice dust can get inside and really screw things up. If your phone is fine don't worry about it.

Even Verizon said a cold screen won't work, so if you're carrying your phone around with you in freezing temperatures you should put it in an inside pocket if at all possible.

CxUNG

Reaction score
I never heard of rice dust maybe i should see them when im eating it LOL inever ever heard of rice having dust in it.
And using a hair dyer SMART just burn the electric components in the fone why dont you. You could serious burn out your circuits in the cpu if you do have water in or around it . Then the fone really messes up after that.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
First of, chill out. The caps weren't needed.

Secondly, I explained why in the post I made with the link in it. The link was to back me up that someone else has had problems with the dust. Ever poured a bag of it out? Or just let some sit in a bag for a while? Dust builds up on the sides of the bag. Now imagine dust that fine getting into all the nooks, crannies, and sensitive electronics of your phone.

Third, this is a $500+ piece of equipment. We need to be as cautious as possible, and throwing said piece of equipment, when it's already been proclaimed to be working fine again, is ill-advised.