[Warning] App spy on bank accounts

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey fellow droiders,

bad news today from "First Tech credit union" officials. After an old warning leaked, officials came aware that there was / is an app on the market, spying for users account information.

spy-vs-spy-without-bombs-775529.jpg

The app was placed to the market by a user named Droid09 and spyed not only on First Tech credit union customers, but also on others. All Android users should be advised to review their apps to see, if they have software from the named user on their devices.

The app could be published because google not yet reviews software published to the marketplace. The name of the app was not given in the source

Make sure you check and remember, this is not about a virus, its about people entering their bank information into apps.
So be aware where you enter what!!

Tigger

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I posted in another thread about this topic.

People should NEVER download any apps in the Market for banking.

Those apps are always offered via the banking institutions website if they are available.

ONLY DOWNLOAD THESE APPS FROM YOUR BANKING INSTITUTION.

hacku

Reaction score
I posted in another thread about this topic.

People should NEVER download any apps in the Market for banking.

Those apps are always offered via the banking institutions website if they are available.

ONLY DOWNLOAD THESE APPS FROM YOUR BANKING INSTITUTION.

Exactly... you would think that's common sense. Guess not though.

db83

Reaction score
I guess I should post my newb question relating to the issue here:
When playing a game linked to facebook, or any other apps really, how much power can these apps really have to accessing your personal info on the phone? key strokes on the phone? How much of a security risk is it to install apps that have access to certain features in the phone?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Totally agree CK, of course your banking instituition will offer it thru the market as well.

Funny though,m because BoA's app sucks, and one has the mobile site that functions just like the app, one would figure they would get their android app team on the ball.

Until then, I'm just using the mobile site.

fallsgable

Reaction score
sorry, noob questions here....
How do I check to see if any of my apps are from the "DROID09" person...
and would an antivirus (that I had and uninstalled) have detected such spying at all??
thanks guys....

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I would NEVER install a banking application that wasn't published by the bank I require online access too. It is frustrating that Chase and Citibank have not released Android apps yet, but I will wait.

I am equally wary about providing my banking user name and password to the Dolphin Web Browser.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I have one simple rule of thumb: I do my banking at my bank. Easy enough since I work for a bank :). I avoid online banking in general and have them turn it off if possible.

Another thing you will NEVER want to do is click on a "link" to your bank from an "e-mail" from your bank. There are far too many fake e-mails from every bank in the US to trust a hyperlink will actually take you to your bank (I don't care what the text says it si where the link goes that matters). Always use the shortcut you made after manually typing www.yourbankhere.com <-- Username and password are being entered on an https:// page, RIGHT? Good! Happy surfing

Zbach7

Reaction score
What about pageonce Personal Assistant. Now im getting nervous with that.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
It is frustrating that Chase and Citibank have not released Android apps yet, but I will wait...

There is an app in the Android Marketplace called "Mobile Banking" that is used by several financial institutions including Citi. If you log into your Citi account online and check under "Tools" or something like that you'll find the link with instructions on how to securely install and configure the app to work with your account.

flavious27

Reaction score
Totally agree CK, of course your banking instituition will offer it thru the market as well.

Funny though,m because BoA's app sucks, and one has the mobile site that functions just like the app, one would figure they would get their android app team on the ball.

Until then, I'm just using the mobile site.

As least it isn't as bad as the winmo version, that justs droped you into a mobile IE screen.

dbmorris

Reaction score
Wachovia

Wachovia's website actually sent me to the apps market to download their software.

Danny

Wraith

Reaction score
Good Idea

I deleted (and never used) my Wells Fargo app.