Wanting to use Easytether to give two computers internet.

psyhcopig

Reaction score
Me and my friend want to use a droid, the connection cable (connected to a laptop), with Easytether set up, to either connect a wireless router, or simply a ethernet cable between this laptop and a desktop computer, and work it in such a way they both can gain internet access from the Laptop. For some reason it won't connect to the desktop.

OP
psyhcopig

psyhcopig

Reaction score
Root the phone? What is Froyo? I apologize, I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to networking. I know what rooting is, but don't know how to do it. I'm assuming Froyo is a firmware upgrade? Is Wifi Tether a pay app?

Taegost

Reaction score
You can do it using the USB connection to either device. Once you have the connection set up, you have to make sure that you use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to share the wireless connection with your ethernet port.
Once it is shared, if you're linking the two computers directly, you need to use a cross-over (NOT PATCH) cable or it won't work. If you have a router in between, you can use either patch or crossover cables. If you do use a router, you want to disable DHCP on it as it'll get really complicated to make it work with ICS.
Or, the easiest option is to root your phone, install that app, and use your Droid as a wireless router :)
FroYo is not necessary (It's Android 2.2, you're more then likely running 2.1). If you do a search on this forum there are quite a few threads on rooting and how to do it properly.

Noah29

Reaction score
htc droid eris tethering question

hello all i have a stoopid question. im sure it has been asked b4 nmabey i missed it lol. any info would be most helpful!

ok here goes
I have the HTC droid eris and am currently using pdanet for tethering to my laptop. ok here is where i get tricky:) i am looking to also be able to use my desktop at the same time as the laptop, i want em both online at same time pulling the internet from my eris. oh and i need it so they can be in different rooms. i have a wrt 54g wireless linksys router, n would like to tether the eris to the desktop via usb and share the connection with the router so my laptop can also be online via wirelessly getting signal from my router. Is this possible? i dont want to turn my eris into a hotspot as i dont have wifi on the desktop.. n if possible would like to avoid rooting my eris.
iknow id have to set up ICS but i am not sure how, also would i have to plug the desktops ethernet cable into the internet port of the router, or does it plug in as if the router already had internet ei like in port 1,2,3,or 4? again any info yall can provide would be much appreciated, and would save some fighting among the kids. haha
thankx all in advance look 4ward to your replies!!
Noah

I figured it out all thankx anyways this was a helpful forum!!!! Figured out how to get pdanet free 30 day trial to be full working without buying it, and got ICS working, was rather very easy once i got the understanding of how things worked. If anybody needs any help with either of these things give me a holla ill be more then glad to share my newly found knowledge!!!!!

Last edited:

jmac

Reaction score
some of the new wifi cards have easy wifi connect radio that your friends can log onto your computer with, and use your computers connection to get on

ramman007

Reaction score
Setting up ICS after tethering a droid2

I figured it out all thankx anyways this was a helpful forum!!!! Figured out how to get pdanet free 30 day trial to be full working without buying it, and got ICS working, was rather very easy once i got the understanding of how things worked. If anybody needs any help with either of these things give me a holla ill be more then glad to share my newly found knowledge!!!!![/QUOTE]

Noah,
I have set up the USB tethering with my Droid 2 and one of my desk tops. I have a wireless router which networks my two desktops together. How do I use ICS to connect my tethered Desktop to my wireless router so that my second desk top can share the internet connection?

Thanks

lklohs

Reaction score
Help!

Noah, as the man in the know...
I believe what you discovered is exactly what I am looking for as i have a wrt 54g wireless linksys router, and would like to tether my EVO4 to the desktop via usb and share the connection with the router so my laptop can also be online via wirelessly getting signal from my router.
I hope that your discovery works with my Sprint EVO4...
L Klohs

hello all i have a stoopid question. im sure it has been asked b4 nmabey i missed it lol. any info would be most helpful!

ok here goes
I have the HTC droid eris and am currently using pdanet for tethering to my laptop. ok here is where i get tricky:) i am looking to also be able to use my desktop at the same time as the laptop, i want em both online at same time pulling the internet from my eris. oh and i need it so they can be in different rooms. i have a wrt 54g wireless linksys router, n would like to tether the eris to the desktop via usb and share the connection with the router so my laptop can also be online via wirelessly getting signal from my router. Is this possible? i dont want to turn my eris into a hotspot as i dont have wifi on the desktop.. n if possible would like to avoid rooting my eris.
iknow id have to set up ICS but i am not sure how, also would i have to plug the desktops ethernet cable into the internet port of the router, or does it plug in as if the router already had internet ei like in port 1,2,3,or 4? again any info yall can provide would be much appreciated, and would save some fighting among the kids. haha
thankx all in advance look 4ward to your replies!!
Noah

I figured it out all thankx anyways this was a helpful forum!!!! Figured out how to get pdanet free 30 day trial to be full working without buying it, and got ICS working, was rather very easy once i got the understanding of how things worked. If anybody needs any help with either of these things give me a holla ill be more then glad to share my newly found knowledge!!!!!

Rizzy

Reaction score
I have a similar question also. I use easytether on my Droid X and I would like to know if it is possible to use my 3g and plug my netgear router into my lap top and get wireless internet? I'm new at this and sorry if I do not make sense. Thank you! :)

Jameshow

Reaction score
There are so many ways to connect internet with two computers. From my point of view for the home network the simple way is to use share a files or printer, peripheral device and even you can Internet connection. You can connect two computers with cables is well.