Wanting to Re-root Droid X, Need Assistance.

zeldarocks

Reaction score
I just got the Razr Maxx to replace the Droid X; I'm wanting to take advantage of the extra phone and go ahead and reroot the Droid X. Here's the problem: I'm on the latest OTA and have rooted in the past, which means that none of the methods are working as they should. I'm hearing that I should be SBFing my Droid in order to be able to root; well, I already tried SBFing, it's as if nothing changed: my settings were retained, alarms were still set, and everything seemed unchanged overall. I want to do this and re-root my droid X without destroying my phone; given that I'm on latest OTA, I should probably be using .621 to do so, given the possibility of bricking if I use anything lower.

leftspin

Reaction score
You need to use the Milestone X .604 SBF. You can flash earlier Milestone X builds but not Droid X builds (the Milestone X is the European generic version of the Droid X without Verizon's branding).

That'll bring you back to where you want to be so you can root it with the Droid 3 One Click script or the ZergRush root.

OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
Wait, I'm supposed to use flash .604 instead of .621? Will that not brick my phone? I'm already on .621 through SBF via RSD Lite.

leftspin

Reaction score
zeldarocks said:
Wait, I'm supposed to use flash .604 instead of .621? Will that not brick my phone? I'm already on .621 through SBF via RSD Lite.

A Verizon build will brick it, as I said a milestone build like .604 will not. The only way you'll be able to root is to flash the Milestone SBF, .621 isn't rootable (yet)

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
You can then "save" root and sbf to .621 and obtain root again. I haven't done it yet because I'm not sure exactly how to get root back with current version.

leftspin

Reaction score
PS3Gamer said:
You can then "save" root and sbf to .621 and obtain root again. I haven't done it yet because I'm not sure exactly how to get root back with current version.

You can use the OTA Rootkeeper app but there's also a pre rooted .621 zip that you can flash in CWM once you root the Milestone build which is probably easier than an SBF