Walmart offer online...different in stores?

insidiousvertigo

Reaction score
Hi guys, check out this offer:
Walmart.com: Verizon - Droid X Smartphone by Motorola (Price with New 2-yr Contract): Home Office
Now, I'm wanting to upgrade from a non smartphone to a smart phone, and VZW still offers the $10 for a new line as far as I know...I'm pretty sure they extended the deadline for the offer. Last time I went to Walmart, I remember seeing the X for $99 with a new contract or upgrade, but the website says $0.01 for the device. I guess it would be better to just go to the store and check it out. Also, would anyone here trust a Walmart rep to activate their phone and change their plan to a data plan? I mean, they supposedly have training, but I've been hearing stories about people not getting the $10 credited back to their account for adding a line (or upgrading to a smartphone)
I'm only posting this because I'd obviously rather get it for free than dishing out $99. Thanks in advance.

igknight

Reaction score
First thing I see on the page is

"In-store pricing will vary"

Its probably an online deal only. I personally find that stupid. I would rather off the sale in the store than online as you are more likely to buy other things, but hey, I'm just a consumer, what do I know?

As to Walmart doing the job correctly, I personally would just go to VZW, or take a chance on the $0.01 online sale and call VSW up after you get it and make sure it was done correctly.

Reaction score
All I know is that the online Walmart phones are sold through LetsTalk. You WILL have different pricing online than in the stores.

OP
insidiousvertigo

insidiousvertigo

Reaction score
Wow I don't know how I missed the in store pricing may vary thing lol. I also just realized that when you do a general search for 'droid x' that on the right side it says 'Sold In Stores
Stock status not available online' not sure what that means exactly but meh. The only other phone I would consider getting right now is the Samsung Fascinate...only $49 at BB but no froyo...wtf?

lesnic56

Reaction score
The online offers from Wal-mart have different conditions than if you buy in the store. Such as online contracts cant be changed in any way for 180 days or you will be charged something like $299.00. Cant even change your phone #.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea for some reason its a law of some sort that they can undercut the price point for online sales but in store they have to fall in line with other stores pricing. At least thats how it works in Wisconsin Wal Mart's.

And I honestly wouldn't trust a wal mart employee to do anything that involves contracts. But that just me.

chasman

Reaction score
but if you have verification of a price at a competitors store Wal Mart is supposed to price match it.

phdanes

Reaction score
VZW charges $99 for upgrade (data plans start at $10 monthly). Walmart has same phone for .01 plus .97 shipping. Ad says with NEW 2 yr contract. Can that be with an extension of an existing contract, too? Has anyone done this?