Wallet

LostRacer

Reaction score
I think I'm a little confused by wallet. I know it wasn't included out of the box because of Verizon. I was able to download it from the market, install and activate it. I have the $10 and went to test it. I went to pay and the phone said sent but did not display the merchant for confirmation and the merchant didn't receive it either. They are supposedly setup for it. Do I need to grab one the other APKs and reinstall or is there any ideas you guys may have? I've searched plenty and saw no mention of what I'm experiencing. Thanks for any insight.

prowler85

Reaction score
I've used it a couple times and it worked great. I got it somewhere else but if it launches I'd guess it's fine. From what I've read, it's probably a bad reader on the merchant's end. Or the merchant had it ready for debit, and the Wallet app has to be a CC transaction. I'd recommend trying it somewhere else. Most McDonald's accept paypass so I'd try there and see what happens.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Mine worked at Jack in the Box. Would not work at Home depot.

wcjeep

Reaction score
The employee had to do something at the register to activate the pay pass.

douglasman100

Reaction score
Raaaaaawr im not 18 and dont have a master card. I wish that you could just have refilable gift card.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
I downloaded GW and found it totally worthless. You can't just use any MasterCard, it has to be a pay pass MasterCard from Citi. What a joke...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

phillyphill39

Reaction score
I downloaded GW and found it totally worthless. You can't just use any MasterCard, it has to be a pay pass MasterCard from Citi. What a joke...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

you do know you can use any credit card. You just add the funds to the gift card that has the $10 on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ænyoc

Reaction score
I've had experiences where it went through one time, then the next day, same register, it didn't. My phone would say sent, but the register never got the payment. I went into a CVS one day and there was nobody else in the store, so I asked the clerk if we could test a few transactions to figure out how it worked.

-If she pressed total and didn't press anything for form of payment: when I put my phone up to the pad, it would say sent, but then come back and say it didn't go through, and keep looping. Once she pressed the credit key, if my phone was still touching the pad, it would go through.

-If she pressed total and credit: Went through on the first tap.

-If she pressed total and debit: Phone said sent and that was it, but she never received anything and money was never deducted from my account.

I think it has to do with the handshake between GW and the merchant account. I theorize that the transaction goes something like this:

-When you tap your phone, it gets a code from the pad -> GW sends this code and the authorization to withdraw from your GW account to the merchant account through the network.
-If the clerk doesn't press anything, GW sends your info -> merchant account replies with, nope, we don't have anything matching that yet... try again -> loop sent, error, sent, error, etc...
-Once the clerk presses credit -> merchant account recognizes the authorization from GW (has a sale to apply your payment toward) and the transaction goes through.
-If the clerk presses credit first, the merchant account is already waiting for the information, hence the transaction is approved almost instantly.
-The merchant account is usually the same for debit and CC transactions. Pressing debit tells the merchant account to wait for payment -> merchant account accepts payment -> register system doesn't recognize payment because it's waiting for debit, but getting credit -> merchant doesn't get confirmation the sale was completed from the register -> no funds are withdrawn.

Basically. Long story short. Before you tap your phone, tell the cashier it's credit. Since I started doing that, it's gone through every time.

As a side note, I have had it work fine without the cashier pressing any keys. I think those registers may be setup to automatically detect the form of payment from the reader and would only need the clerk to press something if it's a cash or split cash/(debit/credit) payment.

Last edited:

wcjeep

Reaction score
thanks for the leg work. I'll be sure to say credit.