Wall Chargers

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Sometimes when "all sorts of weird stuff" starts happening to your phone are you using the wall charger? If you are, is it the Moto charger or a cheap imitation of a true Moto charger?

I ask because somehow I caused one side of the USB end of my Moto charger to lift partially out of it's seating. If it can be pushed back on, I'm wary of the strength needed to do so. So I began using a cheap imitation of the charger, but only a day or two because as soon as I plugged the charger in and connected the phone a LOT of weird stuff started happening to my phone: reboots, force closings, apps freezing, the whole phone freezing, just everything. I had been suspicious of this cheap charger even tho it was bought from Amazon.

As soon as I went back to the Moto charger, even with one side canted up, all the weird stuff stopped, never to happen again, and it fits in the USB port well enough to use.

Any useful, amusing or trenchant observations or comments appreciated.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I think its just the cheap ones that have problems. I regularly use my Kindle charger and havent had any problems and my mom uses here BB Storm charger without problems.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I had a cheap wall charger from my last phone and it never charged my Droid fully. A non-brand USB works connected to my computer at work, but at home its my wall charger that came with my Droid.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I think its just the cheap ones that have problems. I regularly use my Kindle charger and havent had any problems and my mom uses here BB Storm charger without problems.

Hey, I used my Kindle charger with my phone too once. I was wary of using it a lot because I wasn't sure with the connectivity. But I guess a USB port is a USB port regardless of the device.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Asphyx

Reaction score
Correct! USB Power is the same spec platform wide.

But not all chargers are created equal.

The best charger to use are the ones with an actual Transformer that plugs into the outlet.
They provide better power for faster charging. I have noticed that those plugs with a USB port charge slower than those with actual Transformers attached.

So what I did was go get one of those Moto Docking stations (which actually take the older USB B connector) on Ebay and use my old Touch Pro charger to power it. Great for travel!

Full Charge in about an Hour!

Natey2

Reaction score
But not all chargers are created equal.

+1. Some third party chargers are designed/built bad, and can cause problems.
If you value your device(s), get a charger built by the same vendor as your device, and one that was made for your specific device.
Amazon usually sells them much cheaper than the manufacturer or carrier does.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have used my old LG charger because it is way longer than the foot long Moto charger...

sent from my ApeX

Natey2

Reaction score
I have used my old LG charger because it is way longer than the foot long Moto charger...

I once tried using a USB extension cable with my Motorola wall charger's short USB cable, and charging times were much longer; almost like the phone was being charged from a PC USB port instead of a wall charger...

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

Asphyx

Reaction score
Charging is a matter of voltage. by adding an extention you increased the resistance and therefore the voltage dropped leading to a longer charge time.

Aroth

Reaction score
Huh, I haven't noticed anything funny about my phone when its off the charger that can't be attributed to running something other than Stock on it, but I have noticed that with the charger I use (from my grandmothers LG, its like twice as long) its hit-and-miss as to whether it will just cause the cpu to get stupidly hot or if it will actually charge.

I think whats happening with mine though is when I plug it in something starts in the CPU that doesn't finish and so it runs at full speed draining the battery as fast as it charges...