VZW unlimited global data going away

freightdog

Reaction score
I thought this might be of interest to those of us who use the global data package and who turn it off and on as needed. I just called to turn it off for a few weeks while back in the states and was told that the unlimited data package is going away effective January 17th. If I turned it off I would be unable to get it back, but if I left it active I would be grandfathered and be able to keep it. This bit of information was allegedly published on my november bill, but I don't normally look at my paper bill, just online usage and pay the bill.

I figured I can't be the only one and should pass this along. I don't want to cross post and do any improper forum procedures, but is it possible for this to be linked to the droid pro forum as well?

wirecutter

Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks for sharing the info

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

silver6054

Reaction score
I thought this might be of interest to those of us who use the global data package and who turn it off and on as needed. I just called to turn it off for a few weeks while back in the states and was told that the unlimited data package is going away effective January 17th. If I turned it off I would be unable to get it back, but if I left it active I would be grandfathered and be able to keep it. This bit of information was allegedly published on my november bill, but I don't normally look at my paper bill, just online usage and pay the bill.

I figured I can't be the only one and should pass this along. I don't want to cross post and do any improper forum procedures, but is it possible for this to be linked to the droid pro forum as well?
Thanks! For those that are mainly in the US, keeping it on all the time probably isn't a viable option. Did they say what replaces it,, e.g. a plan with X MB per month or something? The pure Pay As You Go option is way too expensive!

hangingclowns

Reaction score
I happened to get mine turned on cause I'm still listed as an employee of Motorola. I was told that only business accounts could get it turned on.

BBlack19

Reaction score
Wow, I got it in the nick of time! I'm military in Iraq right now and just had it activated about a week ago. Thanks for the info on this!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I wil put a new thread in the Pro Area.

OP
F

freightdog

Reaction score
Thanks! For those that are mainly in the US, keeping it on all the time probably isn't a viable option. Did they say what replaces it,, e.g. a plan with X MB per month or something? The pure Pay As You Go option is way too expensive!

I didn't write down the specifics but if I remember correctly the package is 75 MB for about 30 bucks, but the kicker is it is only good in Canada, Mexico, caribbean, and Europe. Once you get beyond those places it is pay as you go, period. The guy I spoke with gave me what must have been the pitch they were told to give the customer, and told me they are changing it because users don't use that much data and don't need unlimited. He told me I am just worried about losing the comfort of unlimited and even if I did live under the new plan I wouldn't be spending any more money. He then examined my usage and I pointed out how just one country I had been in would have been a $300 bill. Glad I am grandfathered for now but fear the next plan change I have to make that forces me to lose it. If I was so inclined I can not switch back to my blackberry at all, since that's a different data plan.

Thanks, hookbill, I tried to spread the word as best I could.

Capt Brian

Reaction score
I just had mine switched over to Global last week before I flew out of the US to Brasil. I spoke with Global Support on 3 Jan and she did not mention anything to that effect. And actually told me that I can switch back to the US plan when I am back in the country and then back to the Global when I leave again. I know the pay as you go is brutal. Did a layover in Panama and racked up some decent charges before the phone was switched over at midnight! Worth looking into. Thank for the heads up freightdog!

silver6054

Reaction score

I didn't write down the specifics but if I remember correctly the package is 75 MB for about 30 bucks, but the kicker is it is only good in Canada, Mexico, caribbean, and Europe. Once you get beyond those places it is pay as you go, period. The guy I spoke with gave me what must have been the pitch they were told to give the customer, and told me they are changing it because users don't use that much data and don't need unlimited. He told me I am just worried about losing the comfort of unlimited and even if I did live under the new plan I wouldn't be spending any more money. He then examined my usage and I pointed out how just one country I had been in would have been a $300 bill. Glad I am grandfathered for now but fear the next plan change I have to make that forces me to lose it. If I was so inclined I can not switch back to my blackberry at all, since that's a different data plan.

Wow, my UK SIM is about 40 cents per day for 25MB a day, s0 $30 for 75MB doesn't look good! Calls were already really expensive compared to local SIMs but unlimited data was compelling. Wonder how many people use the plan though.

silver6054

Reaction score

Wow, my UK SIM is about 40 cents per day for 25MB a day, s0 $30 for 75MB doesn't look good! Calls were already really expensive compared to local SIMs but unlimited data was compelling. Wonder how many people use the plan though.

New rates are on the web site, even worse than Freightdog remembered!

Canada & Mexico 75 MB $30/month
200 MB $100/month
Overage: $.002/KB - Canada
$.005/KB - Mexico

Caribbean & Europe
25 MB $30/month
70 MB $100/month
Overage $.005/KB

* Data usage in other available countries will be charged at the pay per use rate of $.02/KB.

So $100 for 70MB in Europe/Caribbean, and $20+ per MB outside Canada/Mexico/Europe/Caribbean.

SIM unlock becomes more important!

OP
F

freightdog

Reaction score
They threw this note on there too:

Note: Verizon Wireless will terminate your service for good cause if less than half of your voice or data usage over three consecutive billing cycles is on the Verizon Wireless National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area.

Looks like folks who take their verizon phone overseas for extended periods of time might get hosed. They've changed a lot of policies over the past week and none of it looks good to me.

silver6054

Reaction score
They threw this note on there too:

Note: Verizon Wireless will terminate your service for good cause if less than half of your voice or data usage over three consecutive billing cycles is on the Verizon Wireless National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area.

Looks like folks who take their verizon phone overseas for extended periods of time might get hosed. They've changed a lot of policies over the past week and none of it looks good to me.
I think that language has been there for a little while (it was there last week before the change)

Presumably if you are using only local SIMs, this policy doesn't apply, as VZ will show no usage of any kind.

tebower

Reaction score
I am just wondering about the truth of this announcement. If Verizon had signaled an end to unlimited data, would not the news sources and blogs be screaming about it? At the present time, the news reports would seem to indicate that an unlimited data plan will continue to be available, and will be a key differentiator for the new iPhone users coming from other carriers or AT&T. I don't think VZW would kill their only true iPhone advantage.

silver6054

Reaction score
I am just wondering about the truth of this announcement. If Verizon had signaled an end to unlimited data, would not the news sources and blogs be screaming about it? At the present time, the news reports would seem to indicate that an unlimited data plan will continue to be available, and will be a key differentiator for the new iPhone users coming from other carriers or AT&T. I don't think VZW would kill their only true iPhone advantage.
This is talking about the Global data plan, which many people don't care about.

Also, not much to doubt! Go to:

GlobalData

and click on the Rates&Coverage tab. Since this is the Verizon Wireless site, I think you can believe.

jbdow

Reaction score
Well, i really have nothing to add to all this except my thanks to freightdog
who caught this and eveybody else who was able to expand and confirm.
I remember hearing that "good cause" thing ten years ago when i was with cingular.
What a joke. to me. you wanna cancel my plan? go ahead. I'll have newer tech in
my hand in an hour - I've been watching this industry for quite a few years now..:)

r, john