VZ Penalty for Early Termination?

modisch

Reaction score
Sometimes being a persistent sociopath asshole pays off when you're dealing with corporations. Don't be mean to the person on the phone, especially the frontline customer service rep. But be firm and persistent.
And clearly restate the crux of of your problem (broken phone, currently screwed out of taking advantage of any of a number of good deals because of their policy, but you want to continue with them as a carrier).

If you do this and keep the pressure on a specific person who actually has the power to do what you want , then you should succeed.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

OP
D

droidess

Reaction score
After putting in most of the day, subject to (a) 14 day window to change via VZW and (b) 30 day window to change phone from Best Buy ...

VZW accepted my decision to buy DINC2 from Best Buy, with a new account, waived the activation fee, but had to pay the 85 ETF. Also, changed to the 65+ 200-minute plan which is OK since I mostly use GV anyhow.

So, could still change to another phone, if something I like better appears this month. Would have considered Charge, but not available. Looked at free Fascinate, but decided I don't have the energy right now to deal with rooting and different ROM. Now have a new local phone number, linked to my long-time GV number.

Thanks to all for helping me to think this through. And we'll see if something truly awesome appears b4 30 day window.

First impressions of the DINC2 are that it's a lot lighter weight than my Droid1, but needs more battery life. The charging mats were not in yet. My auto charger from the Moto Droid didn't work on it.

Might consider Droid X2 if it appears in the next month, and if it uses some of the accessories already have for the Moto Droid [RIP].

Just an observation, in general, the sales staff at Best Buy are 14 levels more helpful than anyone I've ever met in a VZW store, at least so far, and I've been with VZW for a long time. Forgive an old lady if that was stating the obvious!

Now, the rest of the shopping, like mattresses and furniture and other such mundane stuff :)

modisch

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting a solution that fit your needs. Tenacity seems to be the quality most necessary for getting anything "special" from a wireless provider.

I'm surprised to hear Best Buy was so helpful. I always get the impression that it is staffed by disinterested, apathetic teenagers. But I guess certain departments are different. The upper end home theater section seems to always have older, savvy staff. I guess the cell phone dept must be the same.

That's cool you have a 30 day window to change your phone. If you do, be sure to completely wipe the contents before turning in your phone. I know of one case where an employee at a wireless provider would dump all of the personal info (texts, photos, emails, etc) for his personal enjoyment. He particularly enjoyed teenagers sexting... Until he was exposed and arrested.

But yah, clear your phone before you hand it to anyone.

And again, congratulations on getting things resolved well.

Best wishes,

-m

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }