Volume Rocker Loose?

MrBewst

Reaction score
Hey guys, need to get your thoughts on something....

I just got my first GN replaced due to having a couple of stuck pixels. I am not sure if the stuck pixels distracted me from the volume rocker but this replacement seems to have a loose volume rocker. The dummy demo unit at the store had a so-so rocker but it's a dummy unit so who knows. I feel silly going back AGAIN but at the same time we pay enough for these phones. I still get a proper 'click' when using it but it's definitely not as tight as the power button.

Please feel your volume rocker, then your power button and let me know if there is a difference. I'd like to know if this is something that I need to get a replacement for. It's driving me nuts right now just like the pixels did once I noticed them.

OP
M

MrBewst

Reaction score
I see this is a common issue amongst other phones, just like the stuck pixel issue. How much would these phones really cost if the QC was as tight as a 1989 Honda Civic?

In all seriousness, I'd be interested to see if this is a common thing with the Nexus or one of those, "why does it have to happen to me" things.

luckybadback

Reaction score
I would take it back if it bothers you. It is not like these devices are inexpensive. They should work properly and you should be 100 percent satisfied otherwise you will constantly think about it...

Sent from my HTC Rezound using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
Its going to be common I'm afraid. Mine's the same way. A replacement will probably have the same issue.

OP
M

MrBewst

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am on board with both of your thoughts. Might be common but we do pay way too much for this kind of quality. I've notice you can actually hear the looseness by shaking it.

I might head up to the store and ask to see another for a comparison. It's not like those boxes are sealed. If it's the same, I'll be content. If not, I'll ask for a swap. It looks like there have been other phones with this same thing so it's not really a GN specific characteristic.

While it's bothering me now, it's probably something I'd eventually forget about but it's still not the quality that I expect of any phone.

OP
M

MrBewst

Reaction score
Well, from what I can tell, this is going to be a common thing. I went back to two separate stores and both stores' models (2 units at each, plus the demo units) have rocker buttons that just aren't quite as tight as the power button. When shaking the phone, you can barely hear the clicking of it moving.

I am going to conclude that I noticed a very small difference in tolerance and all models will have a rocker button that will deviate from the feel of the power button. There should be NO functional issue with the rocker otherwise you should return it. I'd be interested to know if your rocker button feels just like your power button. I'd say that you got a keeper! I will also say that now that I know all models likely have this, I am not going to worry about it.

However, I do feel that this is a silly quality issue that Samsung could have improve on. The Moto Bionic has also had similar rocker button issues. Other than this and a problem where my first model had a couple of stuck red sub-pixels, I feel this phone is top notch (but I have only had it 3 days). Stuck pixels have also been found on many other phones including the Razr. Any device with a LCD/LED will be prone to bad/stuck pixels. Every phone will have it's own nuances and this is going to be one that I list as a con to the device however it won't make me return it for another device.

Now, if someone can come up with a fix for this, you'd be a hero. I have read that some people on other phones have injected silicone sealant/cement behind their rocker switches to, if not dampen, to fill in the void. I haven't decided if it's worth it to me to be the guinea pig on this one. I'd be happy to hear from those who have done this. Is silicone sealant and cement the same? Silicone cement just sounds so rigid/hard...granted the silicone part.

Hope this helps someone!

Tallen1331

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread!

I started a similar thread that basically explained my problem as a rattle in the phone caused by the volume buttons, because they too are kinda driving me nuts heh. But the fact that this is normal for the phone puts my mind at ease in that i can now root/unlock without really worrying about having to replace my device.

I just dont like it because i really think that the gnex feels like a solid and well built phone, with this tiny thing being its only obvious QC issue. It's very similar to driving a car and finding a rattle somewhere on the first day... just a little thing that can be fixed (hopefully) and until it is it'll be a small negative in a device that is otherwise very positive.

Im sure it can be easily fixed if i wanted to take my phone apart, but i dont think i have the stomach for that quite yet lol. If anyone finds a quick fix please please post it, thanks :biggrin:

OP
M

MrBewst

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply on this also. I could verify that my rattle was coming from the rocker button by holding it while shaking. It was driving me nuts at first until I saw the other units sporting the same play. It also put my mind to ease. My girlfriend thought I was nuts but then I told her, who pays 2-300 (keep in mind that this is promo pricing) for something and not expect it to be perfect relatively speaking? Hell, I make sure everything I get is perfect regardless of price, relatively speaking. New is new. If every car of a given model had a rattle, ok, but if I test drove a specific a car and it's handle was loose and rattled, I'd never buy it. Unfortunately we can't test drive cell phones and for that matter there is too many good things about this phone to justify the exchange to a Razr.

While the phone could have better buttons, I agree that it's built well especially looking at it's modular design which will eventually make for a repairable phone.

Speaking of a modular design. There is a tear down out there (IIRC, illustrated on iFixIt) but it looks like it took a bunch of guitar picks and the plastic prying tools to get it open. The loose rocker would likely be fixable once opened up but no guarantees. There is no way I am going to mar up the plastic rim to the glass trying to get mine open. One could try using a syringe/hypodermic needle to squirt some silicone sealant behind the rocker button as that's what I read someone used to get the silicone in the tiny gap.