Volume Controls

spegoda

Reaction score
I have only had my Droid for a few weeks. After I had it for a few days I received notification of an update. Of course I allowed it to update, but then noticed I can no longer use the toggle button on the side of the phone to go from <ring> <vibrate> <silent>. The manual settings will allow it to go from either ring to silent or ring to vibrate, depending on how I have it set. Am I missing something here? Is there a setting I am just not seeing to change it back to be able to select one of the 3 from the toggle button without having to go into settings each time?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have only had my Droid for a few weeks. After I had it for a few days I received notification of an update. Of course I allowed it to update, but then noticed I can no longer use the toggle button on the side of the phone to go from <ring> <vibrate> <silent>. The manual settings will allow it to go from either ring to silent or ring to vibrate, depending on how I have it set. Am I missing something here? Is there a setting I am just not seeing to change it back to be able to select one of the 3 from the toggle button without having to go into settings each time?

You're correct, it no longer goes to silent. I suspect that some people didn't like it going to silent.

So what I suggest you do is purchase Beautiful Widgets and use Beautiful silence. Beautiful Widgets is well worth the price if you don't have it on your Droid anyway.

OP
spegoda

spegoda

Reaction score
I have seen several people talking about the Beautiful Widget. I might have to look into it.

I miss the option of using the toggle to go from ring to silent to vibrate. *sigh* Just seems like it would be easier for everyone. LOL Why they gotta fix something that ain't broke? LOL

Thanks for the help.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Can't you just hold the power button and turn on Silent Mode or is that the same thing as turning the rocker all the way down??

OP
spegoda

spegoda

Reaction score
Can't you just hold the power button and turn on Silent Mode or is that the same thing as turning the rocker all the way down??

yes, but it will vibrate. In order to truely silence the phone, I have to go into settings and turn the vibrate off. I didn't have to do that before. The toggle on the side of the phone use to go from ring (volume) down to vibrate and down once more to silent. With my work, I am constantly having to switch from vibrate to ring to silent and well now its more difficult. If that makes sense.

Sweettooth

Reaction score

yes, but it will vibrate. In order to truely silence the phone, I have to go into settings and turn the vibrate off. I didn't have to do that before. The toggle on the side of the phone use to go from ring (volume) down to vibrate and down once more to silent. With my work, I am constantly having to switch from vibrate to ring to silent and well now its more difficult. If that makes sense.

Ahh! Got ya. Perhaps Google figured that calls take a much higher priority over your standard notifications and should have two forms notification(vibrate and tone). An example would be someone setting their phone to silent because they get a lot of Facebook notifications and then someone tries to call them to inform them a family member has been in an accident. I'd say that's worth the table buzzing a couple times. Another example would be accidentally silencing the phone in your pocket and missing a call from your would be employer. ;)