Volume button flip?

cchhiipp

Reaction score
One (minor) counter-intuitive thing happens when I am watching video, horizontally, on the Droid. The volume buttons are opposite what they should be. The slider on the screen grows to the right to get louder, but the button you press for more volume is the left button.

when the Droid is vertical, it makes sense as the "up" button should make it louder. But when horizontal, it's backwards.

Is there an app that can make the volume button behavior dependent on orientation?

I realize this is a minor nitpick, so it not a big deal if this isn't available, but it'd be a nice thing to have.

brochaos

Reaction score
how many times have you done it the wrong way? after about 3, i started remembering, and it hasn't been an issue since...

tktouch12

Reaction score
Its really stupid planning honestly iPod touch does the same thing, but u get used to it pretty quick

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
I haven't watched videos much, so I haven't done it many times. Like I said, not a big deal, but if there is a fix for it, I'd like to know.

I'm a big fan of intuitive design. (Psychology major)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't watched videos much, so I haven't done it many times. Like I said, not a big deal, but if there is a fix for it, I'd like to know.

I'm a big fan of intuitive design. (Psychology major)
You know, "intuitive" is a bit subjective. Volume sliders tend to have higher volume on the right. I wouldn't say that making the volume hard buttons reverse for landscape would be intuitive. It's intuitive for me for the hard buttons to not change their functionality. However, I don't see why there shouldn't be an app for those that want it to work that way.

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Yeah, for me is a visual incongruity thing. I press the left button to make the bar grow right? That's what's weird to me. But I get your point.

Like you said, though, the point is to let it be customizable so each person can have it the way they prefer without affecting other people.

Guchi

Reaction score
i would prefer to have the on screen bar go right to left all the time if anything. but having the button switch when in landscape seems the oppisite of intuitive to me.

skidemn

Reaction score
how many times have you done it the wrong way? after about 3, i started remembering, and it hasn't been an issue since...

On a high-end phone we shouldn't HAVE TO remember! Smart engineering means meeting the needs of the consumer in an intuitive fashion so it is easy to understand and enjoy. Even my old LG Dare had volume buttons that changed direction for landscape mode, so hopefully someone will figure this out for the 2.1 update, or perhaps just a Motorola update since not all Android phones have side volume...

Reaction score
This bothers me as well. Not enough to complain, but enough to silently be disappointed and wish for some sort of resolution.